Notices

charging a battery out-of-car

Old 10-09-2004, 07:08 PM
augy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging a battery out-of-car

Is it safe for me to charge a battery while it isn't in a car? Can I just hook it up like I'm jump starting it and just let it charge?
I'm trying to fix a car that's sitting in a garage with a dead battery, so I can't get a 2nd car in to jump it. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

That's the way a dead battery should be charged. Run down to Sear's or something and pick up a battery charger, they aren't too expensive and come in handy on occasion. They usually have settings for "jump," quick charge, and long charge. Set it for long charge and let it go.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:14 PM
v8guy
Professor

I think he wants to take the battery out, hook up jumper cables to it, and charge it with another car. I guess that would work fine, but make life easy on yourself and go down to Sears and get a charger like Kai said. They are handy to have and you can get a decent one for under $50. I think mine was $25, maybe $30, at Sears.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:13 AM
augy

Cool--thanks guys.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by v8guy
I think he wants to take the battery out, hook up jumper cables to it, and charge it with another car.
Oh... that would put a serious strain on the other car's alternator and battery. It's not something I'd try, a battery takes a lot of juice to charge.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:16 AM
augy

Originally Posted by Kai
Oh... that would put a serious strain on the other car's alternator and battery. It's not something I'd try, a battery takes a lot of juice to charge.
Well, what differentiates charging a dead battery inside the car from outside the car? My friend said it would take a lot longer to charge outside, but I don't understand why; there's no other part on the car which holds the charge besides the battery, so what's the difference?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:57 PM
redcivicforever

Default maybe because of the alternator?

I was thinking its becuase of the alternator not being with the battery if its out of the car as it is when the battery is in the car so it is harder to hold the charge? Of course I honestly don't know, but maybe...
Old 10-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by augy
Well, what differentiates charging a dead battery inside the car from outside the car?
Inside the car, it's connected to a dinky alternator that has to keep the car's battery charged while under electronic strain from the car. Adding another battery adds more load to the poor thing.

Pluging it into the wall is connecting it to the local power station. Charging a car battery is nothing compaired to something big, like a freezer.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:34 PM
augy

Originally Posted by Kai
Inside the car, it's connected to a dinky alternator that has to keep the car's battery charged while under electronic strain from the car. Adding another battery adds more load to the poor thing.
Understood, but why would a battery charge better inside a car than outside?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by augy
Understood, but why would a battery charge better inside a car than outside?
Because the alternator doesn't put out as much power as a wall socket, plus it's a strain on the alternator to charge a dead battery... a real battery charger isn't under any strain worth mentioning.