Notices

Any tips?

Old 10-02-2004, 09:11 AM
augy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips?

Hey, I'm replacing the headgasket on my DOHC ZC and I need to take off the cams to get to the bolts holding the head to the block. Thing is, the arches that are labled E1-E6 and I1-I6 (exhaust and intake, respectively) which cover the cams (some people call them 'cam covers') just do not want to come out. I've taken both 10mm bolts out of each, and no matter how much I wiggle them around to work them out, they just don't want to come off. I've gotten 2 off so far, but that took me over an hour . Does anybody have an tips to get these things off?

Appreciated.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by augy
Hey, I'm replacing the headgasket on my DOHC ZC and I need to take off the cams to get to the bolts holding the head to the block. Thing is, the arches that are labled E1-E6 and I1-I6 (exhaust and intake, respectively) which cover the cams (some people call them 'cam covers') just do not want to come out. I've taken both 10mm bolts out of each, and no matter how much I wiggle them around to work them out, they just don't want to come off. I've gotten 2 off so far, but that took me over an hour . Does anybody have an tips to get these things off?

Appreciated.
light taps on both sides with a rubber malet...then keep wiggling
Old 10-02-2004, 09:45 AM
augy

I spent 30 minutes wiggling and tapping one of those things, then said **** it and grabbed a pair of pliers. Put a layer of foam rubber to keep them from scarring the arches, then yanked it out. Dude, I don't it would have been possible to exert that kind of force without tools--those things were in there GOOD. Anyways, Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

(some people call them 'cam covers')
Cam cover is a pretty common alternate name for the valve cover, actually.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:34 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by Kai
Cam cover is a pretty common alternate name for the valve cover, actually.
I'm more familiar with rocker cover, but then again I'm also more familiar with old-school OHV V8s, which incidentally get two of them. (OHV = Overhead Valve, for those that haven't heard the term before.) I suppose the parts in question would be called cam bearing caps, but I don't know for sure.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

yeah, bearing caps is the name of the game.

For a deeper history lesson, the reason OHV (the overhead valve engines) is such a big deal is thanks to the seriously old school flat head engines. Back in the day, the valves used to be off to the lower side of the combustion chamber, opening up. The heads where literally a flat peice of cast iron.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:16 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by Kai
yeah, bearing caps is the name of the game.

For a deeper history lesson, the reason OHV (the overhead valve engines) is such a big deal is thanks to the seriously old school flat head engines. Back in the day, the valves used to be off to the lower side of the combustion chamber, opening up. The heads where literally a flat peice of cast iron.
I have a flathead engine.....on my lawnmower LOL! Briggs & Stratton baby yeah!!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:31 AM
augy

Originally Posted by v8guy
I have a flathead engine.....on my lawnmower LOL! Briggs & Stratton baby yeah!!!!!

Oh, and since there aren't any actual "rocker arms" per se in a DOHC, I guess I can't call them "rocker covers"

Originally Posted by Kai
How low were they? Were these flat head engines basically an upside-down over-head valve engine, with the oil on top? Sorry, the logistics of this are a bit foreign to me
Old 10-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

How low were they? Were these flat head engines basically an upside-down over-head valve engine, with the oil on top? Sorry, the logistics of this are a bit foreign to me
Bored as I am, I made a picture.

Note how huge the combustion chamber had to be. They where generally low compression engines because of this, plus the flow from the side mounted valves sucked. The engine is oiled normally, by crankcase spash and oil galleys.

Then along came overhead valve engines, and cars became significantly faster.
Attached Images
File Type: png
New Bitmap Image.PNG (5.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-06-2004, 06:31 PM
ED9man
driver

nice picture