Notices

84 dx tran linkage

Old 09-29-2004, 02:15 PM
speedfreak7
all wheel civic, what?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 dx tran linkage

how do i disconect the linkage of the trans? i havent been under the car to look yet but would like a heads up before i get there.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
augy

If you have the Chilton manual, it has a simple picture of the linkage and the instruction says "Remove shift linkage."

On the 84-95 civics/crxs/del sols, there are 2 "arms" that are collectively referred to as the shift linkage; one is used to stabilize the shifter and the other is the physical link from the shifter to the transmission. The stabilizing rod is a cinch; it's just held in place by 1 bolt (much like the control arm of your double-wishbone suspension). I THINK it's around 14mm, but you'll find out real quick once you roll under there =]. Just grab a ratchet and have at it. The actual link to the tranny is the tough part. You'll see that it has a rubber boot on it that looks somewhat like the booth around your CV joints, but much smaller. You can push this boot back, and you'll see a metal retainer that clips over the shift link rod. Just pull this off--no tools required. Once this is off, you'll see a hole from the bottom of the shift link rod where the clip was to the top of the shift link rod. Inside this hole is a spring pin--which to you is just a metal tube that you'll have to hammer out before pulling out the shift link rod from the transmission. you WILL have to hammer this thing out--there really isn't any fancy trick to it. You will want to find something that is the size of the hole and hammer on it to force out the pin. If you happen to have A/C on your car, use one of the bolts that bolts the A/C compressor to your engine. These bolts are EXACTLY the size of the hole the spring pin is in and are tough enough to take the beating your hammer is going to give it, so I highly recommend its use

Once you've got the spring pin out, just ease the shift link rod out of the transmission, and voila. you're done.

Simple enough, right?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 PM
speedfreak7
all wheel civic, what?

thanks.