Notices

86 Civic Si - ECU

Old 09-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Muddy9069

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Civic Si - ECU

First off let me say hi to everyone...just joined today.

I just got an 86 Civic Si and it has a bad ECU. None of the junkyards in the area seem to have what I need. It is a PE7 ECU and I read here somewhere that the PG7 from an 86-87 Intergra is a straight swap except mabye it runs a bit rich. Is this correct?? and does anyone have either of these ECU's that they would be willing to part with??

Muddy
Old 09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

The teg ECU does work, and it's map is a little richer.

I may have a CRX ECU though, make an offer.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Muddy9069

That sounds great... the yards I have been looking at were going for between $25 and $40 if that had them. Not sure how much shipping is but how about $40 and you ship it the cheapest way you can??

Muddy
Old 09-23-2004, 05:04 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

:thinking: You just said in your first post that none of the yards around you had it, yet they quoted you $25-40 for an item they didn't have?

I'll have to think about $40, since there's hardly anybody selling 1G CRX ECUs, it seems a bit low to me.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Muddy9069

No one has one that I have found yet. They quote the price over the phone knowing they have that year/model car on the lot they don't know for sure if they have the part. The places here use pretty much flat rate prices. $25 for an ECU, $40 for a tranny, ect. Pull your own parts of course. It doesn't matter to them what kind of car it comes from. I did actually find a PG7 there that I am going to go back for this weekend but I would rather have the right one for the car then I can chip the PG7 later if I decide to try that .

Think about it... Counter offer if you would like to... I don't have alot to spend on it but I understand your position also.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
ED9man
driver

how much is a new one?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:43 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Originally Posted by ED9man
how much is a new one?
More than you wanna get into.

Muddy,
Tell you what, end of next week I'll be able to pull the ECU out of my parts car and decide by then whether I can part with it, or if I'm absolutely going to need it for an EFI conversion in the near future, and let you know. If I decide to keep it, I'll put you in touch with a friend of mine that I know for sure will part with one and you two can work something out.

I'm assuming that you want one soon, but aren't desperate [yet]. If this isn't the case, let me know and I'll pass on your offer to my friend and save myself some hard "what if" thinking.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Muddy9069

Thats cool...Not desperate yet...but really close...This is going to be my everyday driver and I still need to have exhaust put on before I get it inspected. If you would rather have the cash then I can wait but if your not really worried about it, then pass me on to your friend if you don't mind.

Hey there is a honda-acura only wrecking yard really close to me...he only has 88 and up mostly though. If your looking for something from another car I can check and see what he has.

One question... If I do get that PG7 this weekend does auto or manual make a dfference on the ECU?? I don't remember which it was....

Thanks
Muddy
Old 09-24-2004, 06:18 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

IIRC, the auto ECU's are a bit more conservative power wise, and I can't remember if the old ECU's had the tranny controller built in or not.

You want to stick with a 5 speed ECU if at all possible.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Muddy9069

Great news... I wen't to the junk yards today and found my ECU.. got it for $25...woo hoo. Works great... I have to go back tomorrow and pick up a throttle body as my ECU tells me my throttle angle senser is out.

Thanks for all your help Harry. It looks like I won't need that one you have so you can save yourself all that hard "what if" thinking.

Muddy