Notices

replacing/upgrading springs and shocks in 87 HF CRX

Old 09-21-2004, 02:24 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing/upgrading springs and shocks in 87 HF CRX

hello everyone

I am going to be putting my rex up in the next month or two for an audio rebuild, which will probably add 400-500lbs of 'stuff' in the back area of the vehicle and I think I may need to upgrade the suspension back there or all around.

When I put my two 12's, big ass box, Group 31 Yellow Top, and two big ass amps in, I get a bit of squat, nothing major but its noticable to me...

are there any springs and shock combos out from another Honda vehicle that would work? ie a 4dr or something which is more capable of handling a load?

p.s. I will either have four 12's in a wall setup behind my b pillar, or a big(ger) box, a few more amps, and probably both yellow tops, so the weight WILL be there
Old 09-21-2004, 04:57 PM
ED9man
driver

is that thing stock as far as peformance?
It must be slooooooow.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Bmpn
Audiophile

yes
its no worse than my 92 Lumina though haha.

any input?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:14 AM
augy

Does it need to come from another honda? go buy any aftermarket adjustable shocks. You can set them stiff enough to handle the weight. What's your budget?
Old 09-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

hello
my budget is not much right now.

I have to wait until SLAP World Finals, find another beater so I can put up the CRX and totally overhaul it.

I honestly have no idea where to start as far as spring costs, or whatever it would take
Old 09-27-2004, 06:33 AM
v8guy
Professor

Shocks are dampeners. They won't add load capacity no matter how stiff they are unless they are coilovers or air shocks. This is a common misconception. You need stiffer springs. I would guess that you can get stiffer ones from an '87 Civic wagon. Wagons typically got the stiffest rear springs.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The 84-87 HF was only like a 50-some horsepower car. With another 500 pounds and a 150-200 pound driver, that car will be lucky to move by itself.

Wagon springs is as tight as a factory 3G spring will get, but then they will have to be cut and that's not a good idea.

The GC coilover kit will work. It is only a pair for the rears due to the strut setup in the front.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Bmpn
Audiophile

hello everyone I am back to my post.

I ended up throwing four amps, three very large batteries, two boxes, and two quite heavy subs in the back of the car, and it was quite noticeable when you looked @ the ass end sag.

I will bookmark this post and probably get a coil over kit after other more important things are fixed... like my exhaust seeing how I ran a damn floor jackstand over and broke a bolt or whatever sounds like a holley 4 barrel now hehe