Notices

Curse of the distributor

Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 PM
spamos
Let sleeping dogs lie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curse of the distributor

Hello folks, i am the owner of a 225k+ 90 civic lx w/ the d15b2, its never failed me in three years (reg. maintenance, tlc) until now, i was on the interstate, bout 65mph, suddenly i was decelerating, into neutral i tried to restart, twas a no go, had headlights, radio, all power, made a funny rattling sound followed by a loud winding down when i tried to start it, removed timing belt cover, all good there, replaced less than 80k ago, went to junkyard and pulled a brand new looking distributor, swapped em out still no start, same sounds, as im sure you all know dists. for my engine are about $300 for a reman, unless i wanna wait a week and spend a tonne on shipping, so will this solve my ignitor, module, and coil curse? or is there something im missing before the dist?(i replaced the main relay, yes the connections are fine) any insight would be greatly appreciated all yours, §pamos
Old 09-16-2004, 09:16 PM
91_CiViC_RiDeR
Passing_U_N_A_CIVIC

This happened to my brother's 87 Accord and come to find out it was his fuel pump....Check that and see if that's it and if that's not it then more than likely it is your distributor!!!

Hoped I Helped!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:27 AM
v8guy
Professor

Sure the starter isn't malfunctioning? Have you verified that the engine cranks over when teh key is turned?
Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 AM
spamos
Let sleeping dogs lie

yes, am recieving fuel, yes my starter is working and engine cranks, do the conditions of my breakdown indicate a specific part in my dist?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:21 PM
m735is

Default borrow a good one...

maybe that junkyard one was there for the same reason. Same situation happened to me , replaced dist from Autozone (lifetime-been using for about 125,000 miles so far).
But I would try to borrow a known good one and see if it is that first.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:29 PM
v8guy
Professor

I don't know what goes in them, but generally honda distributors are replaced as a unit.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:38 PM
spamos
Let sleeping dogs lie

good thinkin m7, it'd never even dawned on me, will be cost effective and give me a definite answer V8, not to contradict, but, 1.5 dists. contain both the coil and module, as well as the rotor and of course the cap, all parts can be purchased separately, which leaves me in this position :thinking:
Old 09-18-2004, 08:07 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by spamos
good thinkin m7, it'd never even dawned on me, will be cost effective and give me a definite answer V8, not to contradict, but, 1.5 dists. contain both the coil and module, as well as the rotor and of course the cap, all parts can be purchased separately, which leaves me in this position :thinking:
You aren't contradicting me at all. I simply stated what I have seen in my experience. When there is something wrong with a Honda distributor, the customer gets a rebuilt distributor. Mechanics don't waste time futzin around trying to fix the things. That doesn't mean you can't, I'm just saying what I have learned working with and talking to other mechanics. If there are replaceable parts inside thats good to know. Most mechanics I know will replace a module on a Ford or GM distributor, but Honda owners have to pony up for a rebuilt unit. I can tell mines already been replaced. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:00 PM
spamos
Let sleeping dogs lie

absolutely well, i scraped up $335 and bought a rebuilt dist from advanced, installed it and still no start, i was workin under poor conditions(dark) but i dont even think i was getting spark, i really need help on this folks as i am unable to get to work and am gettin poorer by the second(not that i wasnt poor to begin with) thanx for your help, §pamos
Old 09-29-2004, 08:07 PM
spamos
Let sleeping dogs lie

ps, im buyin a new fuel pump tomorrow, will inform you of outcome