Notices

Air Conditioning

Old 09-08-2004, 10:34 AM
zack77
Space Cowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

It's come that time to recharge the A/C. I've noticed there are conversion kits to change an R12 system to a R134a(new recharge fittings and refridgerant oil comes with most of these). Has anyone changed their system with no problems? If I'm going to consider doing this I would like to know of any hidden issues I might have to deal with. I'd rather do this(the system recharge) myself anyway instead of paying outrageous amounts for a shop to do it.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

It depends. Why did your system loose charge in the first place? Probably a very fine leak. The problem is, R134A molecules are smaller then R12's, so a 'small' leak for R12 is a huge leak for R134A.

When you do this, you ideally need to replace all the seals in the system. The best results come this way.

There is a web site somewhere around here that sells a special direct R12 replacement that is still legal... for like $8 a can.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 PM
zack77
Space Cowboy

Originally Posted by Kai
There is a web site somewhere around here that sells a special direct R12 replacement that is still legal... for like $8 a can.
A forum sponsor?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Maybe?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:41 PM
m735is

Default search Freeze 12,

I can't remeber the website but any A/C site should link you to a place to buy it.
I did the conversion on my 92 Civic, I took the A/C system out of a roll over, installed it on mine, had it evacuated and pressure tested at a shop. Then did the 134 coversion at home. The system would almost stall the car when I was shifting (stick)- something about a high pressure cutoff switch that should be installed when you do the conversion, I haven't looked into it much, I just let out some pressure.
When my kids same year Civic with A/C finally died I tried to compare the wiring harnesses to see if it was converted. His had a grey plastic piece of plastic wrapped with blue elctrical tape and two wires coming out of it near the fan relays, mine did not. I couldn't figure out if it was a factory piece or a converted piece, the wires to and from it were way different than mine. It's been two years and still works pretty good. Although in Buffalo I only use it when really hot and that's not very often.
So you have three options now: find some r12 and pay , find freeze 12 (r 12 compatable,add and pray or convert to 134 and pray.