Notices

hello to a few questions about temp rise, and gas smell...

Old 07-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Bmpn
Audiophile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello to a few questions about temp rise, and gas smell...

Hello everyone

since I had a few weeks to learn about my 87 rex and get 'intimate' with it, a few things have risen up and gotten my attention...

1: My temp rises quite a bit in the heat and city traffic. If I am close to redline on the temp guage and I hit the highway, I get down to about 1/3 on the guage... The prior owner told me it was baaaaaaad in city driving, I am wondering if the fan just doesnt kick on when supposed to? After I turn the car off, I will sometimes hear the fan turn on AFTER I turn the car off, and it will stay on for about 5 or so minutes...

2: When I corner quite hard and around sharp turns, I smell gas. Also I filled my car up to the top, and about 2 seconds later I had gas spilling out from under my car... enough to cover about 3x3 feet of ground @ the gas station. This spillage has only happened once, as I am not going to fill it so far that it leaks out (the leak wasnt @ the gas hole either)... hard cornering usually gets it pungent though...

anyone out there ever have any of these problems???
Old 07-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The cooling problem is most likely a stuck thermostat or a clogged radiator, if not, perhaps a bad water pump.

Do not drive the car with a gas leak. It sounds like the top of the tank is rusted through, common problem for cars in Northern states. Lift the car, drain the tank, then drop it for inspection. If you find a hole, replace it.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:11 PM
SRT_Andy

Sounds like you need to pick up smoking as a habit. h: Definitely fix that gas tank before it's the end of you.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Bmpn
Audiophile

thank you guys.

i will see what the problem is real soon... would that explain why the gas guage only goes up to about 2/3 of the way? even when the tank is full?