Notices

auto -> standard Q

Old 07-05-2004, 12:37 PM
zoomin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto -> standard Q

ok i'm in the process of helping a friend put a b16a engine/tranny into his 88 rex. the only problem is that his car was originally automatic (ewwwww) and the b16 tranny is standard (thank god). we already put in the standard pedal assembly, and grabbed a clutch cable for it. Now i have 2 questions.

1. what do i need for the shifter situation...we have the linkages we need for the b16a->CRX swap, and i'll probably be ordering a short throw shifter handle off e-bay (unless anyone wants to sell me theirs???)...will i need anything else? other then that little rubber mounting piece that holds the linkeages on? i was at the junkyard the other day trying to get the ****ing assembly out and for the life of me couldnt get the lower shift linkage off the shifter handle...is there some sort of trick to this?

2. is there a pre-drilled hole in the firewall (covered by a grommet) somewhere for the clutch cable? i looked hard and couldnt see anything (should be to the right of the brake booster). or will i have to drill out this hole? if so where do i drill?

anything else i should know when doing the auto-manual swap such as wiring?

thanks alot
victor
Old 07-05-2004, 04:24 PM
A_PHOBIA

ive never dont the auto to manuel conversion.i auctually sold my 4th x car to get a manuel.if i was you i would just cut the linkage with sawzaw or a hack saw and weld re weld it later.just a thought though.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:50 PM
zoomin

thats what i wa sgoing to do but i was at a junkyard and didnt have any significant tools on me. well this car was a REALLY good deal even though it was auto so he couldnt pass it up.

any more input?
thanks
victor
Old 07-07-2004, 07:22 PM
A_PHOBIA

go back with a hack saw and a coulpe of extra blades.it will should only take you 15 mins to be through it.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
90_crx_flaze
Drift King

thers a clip in the firewall next to the brake booster and u can pry on it with a screw driver or pop it out from inside the firewall where the mounts are