Notices

New to Hondas Picked up a 91 CRX SI for $260

Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Calilude
I'm Shy :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you're definetly right about turning around and selling it for at least a g or more. I just cleaned up my crx si today and it looks good already. The carpet is in excellent condition for the year, the previous owner had a fawking dog and there are dog hairs everywhere, I have to eventually get a vacuum to it later this week, I'll probably do it tomorrow or something and wash it. There was so much damn garbage in the car it wasn't even funny. I have the same problem with my seats, my drivers seat is jacked to hell but my passenger side seat is hella nice, everything else is really clean in the car too. Mine even came with a detachable clarion deck. The speakers are gone though, sound wise they suck. My car is black and will need a paint job, the engine bay is silver so I'm guessing it was silver before. So this summer I'm going to primer it and hopefully when fall comes around I can paint it.

If you put some work into it now by changing the timing belt, clutch, and just giving it a regular maintence you can sell it for at least 2k if not a little more. I eventually want to do a b16 swap on mine since those are like the best motors you can put in the crx that don't require hella work. We both definetly found really good cars though, good luck with yours and just have fun with it, they'll last you forever.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
v8guy
Professor

Thanks Ullerw & Calilude. I'll have to look more into these exhaust options and compare them pricewise to whatever I can get the OEM replacement exhaust for. The Greddy exhaust is like $500 plus shipping isn't it?

Dog hair sucks. I feel your pain. I have a bit of cleaning to do on my car as well. The carpet and original floormats are a bit dirty, but not too worn. They should clean up OK. First I want to get the mechanical work done, then I'll worry about fixing the little things and cleaning the carpet.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:53 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

duct tape works well pulling off dog hair

here is a neat little fact...the 90-91 crx si ran a similar 1/4 mile as the 1st two years of the 4.6 liter stang gt (in the bigger heavier car)...ford's pony car got a whole lot heavier and they didn't figure out how to get good hp out of that engine until later

the thing about driving a honda versus a v8 is where you get ample torque...v8 is down low and immediate...on the crx and even most b series engines you have to rev it to get power...these engine are pretty bulletproof so if you care for it revving it won't break the engine...though the higher rpm torque band makes these cars harder to launch...plus they are fwd which is always a minus in acceleration
Old 06-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Calilude
I'm Shy :(

Originally Posted by jaje

here is a neat little fact...the 90-91 crx si ran a similar 1/4 mile as the 1st two years of the 4.6 liter stang gt (in the bigger heavier car)...ford's pony car got a whole lot heavier and they didn't figure out how to get good hp out of that engine until later

the thing about driving a honda versus a v8 is where you get ample torque...v8 is down low and immediate...on the crx and even most b series engines you have to rev it to get power...these engine are pretty bulletproof so if you care for it revving it won't break the engine...though the higher rpm torque band makes these cars harder to launch...plus they are fwd which is always a minus in acceleration

Damn duck tape, that's a good ass idea. I would have never thought of that. I'll definetly do that next time I play with the car. Yeah definetly get the maintence done and any help you need, just ask us. Crx's are pretty simple to work on, just some basic knoweledge is all and there's always tons of into to look up.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:27 AM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by jaje

LOL the 4.6 SOHC stang had really sucky heads when it first came out. I think '96-'98 model years got stuck with them but I'm not sure. My daily driver is a bone stock (except for an after-cat) '88 Mustang LX 5.0 which will easily burn my friend's '96 GT. I also ran away from him with the '85 Saab 900 Turbo I had before I got the stang 3 years ago. His car is a pig. Not only does it have the sucky heads, its a (barf) automatic. He bought the car new and still kicks himself in the ass for getting an auto.

What does a '90-'91 CRX Si run in the quarter? I heard like 16 flat.

Duct tape is a good idea. My friend's mom always gets dog hair in her newish Volvo and she uses lint rollers to clean it out. Kinda the same idea except duct tape is a lot stickier than the tape on the lint rollers. The rollers are really convenient though. I totally forgot about this until you brought up the duct tape.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:39 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

the 90-91 crx si's could get high 15s stock with a decent driver (some could get them into mid 15s stock)...low 15s with the normal boltons
Old 06-02-2004, 10:09 PM
v8guy
Professor

I bet you really have to scream it up and slip the hell out of the clutch to get a good launch. That was my typical MO with my '67 Bug. I haven't driven the CRX much but it seems to pull nicely going up through the gears but not much torque at low RPMs. I hear ticking noises inside my valve cover. I thought the lifters were worn but I guess these things have solid lifters like my old VW did. I remember what a difference in power it made if the lifters were only a little bit loose. If I remember right the VW was .006 cold. Might have been .008 though. Its been a long time since I had to adjust valve lash.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:25 PM
v8guy
Professor

Well, I haven't gotten around to adjusting the valves yet, but I did install a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, rear main seal, axles, OEM replacement mid-pipe, dynomax muffler kit and hatch lift supports. Passed inspection too, woo hoo. I may fab up a CAI, but that will be the extent of any mods. The car has plenty of power for a daily driver.