Notices

clunking noise

Old 01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
bigdaddy69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise

i have a 91 civic. we just swapped in a new engine and now whenever i shift i get a clunking noise in the engine bay. we replaced all the engine mounts and still the noise. does any one know what it could possibly be? any help would be greatly appriciated
Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 AM
WhiteRice

Does it "clunk" if you're just sitting in your driveway shifting?

does it sound like it's coming from your tranny? Is your clutch cable installed correctly? Just trying to help brainstorm!
Old 01-10-2004, 03:44 PM
bigdaddy69

it only clunks on hard shifts while driving
Old 01-10-2004, 08:47 PM
itechengineers
PC's_N_CaR_EnGiNEeRiNGMaN

hey there..... well there are a decent amount of klunks when it comes to hard driving....... does it happen only when your shifting..... or after you shift and stomp on the gas pedal? does it only do it when your moving the shifter? or when swapping into gears? does it do it in a certain gear only? or all 5? how about this..... maybe the axles..... theres a circlip (watch my spelling) that goes onto the axel (trust me on that I almost misplaced mines once).... if you have a couple of hours.... rip out the axles and inspect the teeth for slippage. Does the front end of your car vibrate during the noise? there's a lot to consider in this situation.... hey if it comes down to it find out how heavy the mileage was on that trannie... do you have power stearing? if not... do you feel anything different in the steering? my crx was ok on rims... I ripeed em out and dropped steelies while my rims were at the shop and they'd vibrate/ wobble around 60 +..... everything is good on the car... those steelies were so light my front end would "jump" multiple times on a moderate take off....investigate and start elimanating options...
Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 AM
bigdaddy69

it only happens when i hit gas the gas after i put it in gear, plus i can feel the the clunk under the floor board
Old 01-12-2004, 12:21 AM
itechengineers
PC's_N_CaR_EnGiNEeRiNGMaN

hey i just spent a fggod 10 minutes writing a book worth of stuff / info for you to keep in mind or try... when i re-read your reply and gave 5 secs of thought.... you said =

it only happens when i hit gas the gas after i put it in gear, plus i can feel the the clunk under the floor board

Your engine and trannie is up front... under the Hood and in front of the firewall.... most likely a klunk under the floor board is either your exhaust components vibrating like a MO FO or your Shifter linkage assembly..... did you put in a short shifter? or do you think your torque rod housing that connects to your trannie is a little loose?

if you think its up front theres other things to check but under the floor board...... check that out... if it isnt let me know... I can suggest more..... like i said... i almost wrote a book for you
Old 01-15-2004, 07:18 AM
excitid

Double check that rear mount. Mine is bad and it feels like it on the floorboard when it clunks. Are the mounts brand new. If not get some inserts or fill them with silicone and let them sit overnight and reinstall them of course you'll only do one at a time but its well worth the trouble.