Notices

is this car worth the trouble?

Old 01-03-2004, 02:24 PM
More&Faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this car worth the trouble?

its a 1985 crx si, and its been sitting in a garage for two years. it was in pretty sad condition even before i abandoned it. but as im low on money, i once again turned my attention to it. i want to autocross this season, and i would like to be semi competetive.

so let me explain the condition of the car. it has 180k miles on it. when i pulled it out of the garage, all four wheels were frozen. with enough revving i could get the fronts to spin, but usually it was just one wheel, and then the rears would drag. so i cleaned out the rear drums and theyre fine now. i cleaned out the fronts next, and they need new calipers. then, i need a new radiator cause this one leaks. then i basically need a new exhaust. and this is the worst part: the chassis where the panhard rod connects, is broken. thats what the third pic is of. basically this causes the car to wander at speed, and handle like shit. i figure my uncle can weld it for me, but even then....is it worth it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crx2.jpg (104.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

How much do you like the car? That makes all the difference between a lump of rusted metal and a beautiful autocross racer. It can all be fixed, but it will probably cost more then replacing it. If you are near a good yard, it will probably be much easier to get back on the road cheap, but the chassis is a mess.

It's up to you, your patience, and your checkbook.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:46 PM
More&Faster

my checkbook wants me to take up bicycle racing

i really really want it to race this year. first autox is in march, so im pulling hard to get it together. at the minimum i want to have all the problems fixed and get some alloy wheels and maybe some kumho MXs. how much would the wheel and tire combo cost, if i got wheels from a junkyard?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:46 PM
wagon89

I would just focus on making the car safe, That is a huge rust hole, I don't know much about the early CRX if you can replace the subframe assuming its the same kinda setup as a 4th gen by all means do it. I would also research what autocross class you want to run and read the rule book, Changing the wheels and tires can sometime bump you into a class where you might not be competive. Make sure the brakes are tip top along with the suspension and tires and little things like the battery not straped down means you go home and don't run. Most important is to have fun and eat some VW GTi's
Old 01-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by wagon89
if you can replace the subframe assuming its the same kinda setup as a 4th gen by all means do it.
The suspension is completely different. They use a McPherson strut front and a solid rear axle.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:41 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

see if that salvage yard has some 1g integras or go to a car auction and buy a 3g civic or 1g teg and use that as a parts car for the crx (crx is much lighter) and you have fuel injection on it so future swaps are easier too