Notices

strange b16 tranny question...

Old 12-02-2003, 08:12 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange b16 tranny question...

is a 6 gear possible for a b16? could you regear it?

a few years ago i met an asian who claimed to have a 6th gear in his teg. thats was way before the rsx so that rules that possibility out. other than bs i dunno how he did it. i talked to a local tranny guy and he said he would have to see how it was done, in other words he wanted to learn how to do it, lol.

back to the topic is it possible to fit up an already made tranny by having a custom bell housing made? ive heard of that done to some v8's, is it possible for a 4 banger? also i talked to another shop who claimed mugen produced a 6 speed, but this tranny is like 4 grand or something outrageous. anyone have any info or know anyone badass enough to build a 6 speed tranny?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:37 PM
S2Kev

It's kind of possible but it's complicated to do so and very expensive. Basically you'd be designing and building your own tranny.

You'd have to make your own 6th gear, syncrhonizer assembly, shift fork, you'd have to extend the mainshaft or make a whole new one and make the case bigger to compensate for a 6th gear and more that I can't think of.... It's not worth doing. Unless that guy is made of money, I don't believe he has a 6th gear in his b16 tranny.

What is the purpose of having a custom bell housing made?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:42 PM
crxb16er

ive never heard of it b4, theoretically an aftermarket company can easily modify or make their own cast of a bseries tranny to mate up to the block but it would be expensive, ive never heard of anyone modifying anything except the old wagon 6 speed but that was pretty pointless due to the extra gear being for super low speed and extra torque. but hey anything is possible. i know of no direct swap so id have to give u the answer of NO... ?
4 grand for a new mugen tranny would be cheap actually id expect it to be much more expensive which is probably why ive never heard of anyone doing any such thing. there probably wouldnt be a big market for something that expensive, better to maximize the 5 gears u do have with a gsr or type r tranny which i believe has closer gear ratios than the b16 but i honestly dont remember, i do know that my zc tranny (my preference) is as close as it gets to overlapping gear ratios. i love reving it to near 8k and then having it drop to 5.2 or so only to fire right back up with no hesitation. i love the control.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:35 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Default Re: strange b16 tranny question...

Originally posted by malfuncion
is a 6 gear possible for a b16? could you regear it?

a few years ago i met an asian who claimed to have a 6th gear in his teg. thats was way before the rsx so that rules that possibility out. other than bs i dunno how he did it. i talked to a local tranny guy and he said he would have to see how it was done, in other words he wanted to learn how to do it, lol.

back to the topic is it possible to fit up an already made tranny by having a custom bell housing made? ive heard of that done to some v8's, is it possible for a 4 banger? also i talked to another shop who claimed mugen produced a 6 speed, but this tranny is like 4 grand or something outrageous. anyone have any info or know anyone badass enough to build a 6 speed tranny?
well you know that asian's are always right!