Notices

Tranny Q...

Old 11-02-2003, 07:45 PM
UltimX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Q...

Can I just put on the flywheel if it has surface rust on the part where the clutch disk hits the flywheel? Also, does the pilot bearing go on the flywheel? When i look at the manual it just says "flywheel bearing" When replacing the throwout bearing, do i have to use molybdenum disulfide? Or can i just use regular grease from a grease gun? Or would silicon grease be fine? Thanks

Ulti-
Old 11-02-2003, 08:22 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Minor rust on the friction surface is ok, pitting is not. Some light sandpaper to take off the surface rust and make sure there's no pitting is a good idea.

Most hondas do not have a pilot bearing.

Moly is best for the tranny splines, but any grease used sparingly should be alright. The more you put on, the more will fling off [not a good thing]. For the throwout bearing, any high temp grease will be alright. Again, use sparingly because the moving action is just going to move excess around and do nothing anyways.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:38 PM
UltimX

can i just use whool? Also, Do you mean "Moly multi perpose grease"? The clutch kit i got came with it so i would assume it goes on there. I'm talking about the flywheel bearing. I think it goes there. I'm goin to go check.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:42 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

The grease they give you is for the splines and where the throw out bearing rides. Don't put any grease in the middle of the flywheel, all it will do is find it's way on the friction surface from the constant spinning.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:40 AM
crxb16er

the grease goes on the splines of the input shaft, not the "fingers" or the clutch disc or pressure plate, just the spline. and u can also apply some to the inner surface of the throwout bearing which is what i assume ur replacing. but as 1stgencrxer said too much will cause a mess and will more than likely get where u dont want it, grease on ur clutch disc will cause slippage, rust will just get burnt off the first few times u drag the clutch same as brake disc's but id just clean them up first, ur supposed to use wd40 or some other oil remover on the clutch disc/pressure plate/flywheel anyways. so make them pretty b4 u slap it all back together
Old 11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
UltimX

alright. Thanks guys