Notices

NEED HELP ASAP!!! CRX Si crapping out on 5K rpm

Old 10-12-2003, 07:44 PM
djcrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP!!! CRX Si crapping out on 5K rpm

*K, guys be easy on me it`s my 1st post and new to the scene. Anyhoo here`s my dilemma, I picked up this nice 91 CRX Si for cheap but it got a major issue.

*The POS is crapping out on me @ 5K rpm meaning it doesn`t rev up any further like regular cars would hit the red line. I`m totally baffled with this. I did the tune up and timing is dead on. The car pulls and drive great tho.

*The car had a mini me swap from a newer civic ex BEFORE then the old owner couldn`t get it to pass smog so he end up slapping a Civic Vx head I believe that`s a 1.5 head could this be the problem? I checked the ECU and it says PM6 so that one is right. I dunno about the chip installed in there tho. Any other things I need to check on this?

***Guys I really need your help with this cuz this is my daily commute car. Thanx in advance.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some things you might wanna check are your fuel filter, spark plugs, and your ignition timing. This sounds like it could be an issue if your filter is clogged or dirty though.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The D15Z1 head was a very bad decision for the previous owner to use. The 'Z1 head is has a VTEC-E system which is very different then the normal VTEC. If it is not being activated, which the PM6 ECU will not do by itself, you are only running on 12 of your 16 valves. The other four are opening just enough to prevent fuel pooling on the top of the valve. The 'Z1 head also has EGR passages cast into it, I have no idea what he did with that.

I would strongly suggest that you to put a normal D16A6 head back on that engine or do some serious rewiring to get that one to work right.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:41 PM
malfuncion
Z20 H8R

well i had that problem with my b16, diagnosis - bad distributor. it was cutting out at like 5k when redline is 8200....i dunno just my $.02