Notices

Gonna buy an early 2003 TL, have a question on transmission

Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
tcwd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna buy an early 2003 TL, have a question on transmission

Hi, everybody. I'm gonna buy an early 2003 TL and I know the transmission of this model. Almost 160K on the car and the seller told me there was no transmission replacement history. If so, does this mean the transmission on the car is OK and has no that defect? Thank u all.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:02 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Do a test drive and see for yourself. Just because some trannys were recalled, doesn't mean all models are affected. My brother's CL, my TL didn't have a problem. My sister's V6 Accord needed a new tranny.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:55 PM
tcwd

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
Do a test drive and see for yourself. Just because some trannys were recalled, doesn't mean all models are affected. My brother's CL, my TL didn't have a problem. My sister's V6 Accord needed a new tranny.
Thank you for the advice. How many miles does your car have? I test drive the car and didn't feel issues like tranny problems.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I only have about 62,000 miles on my 1999 TL.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
smgtech
Honda Powered.

If the car is in very very good condition buy it...you can always fix engine problem with money but you cant fix a loose falling apart riped or stained seats kind car...8 times out of 10 if its in really good shape the owner took care of the car and didn't rabbit drive it...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM
HillTopGraphics

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
Just because the seller said it was the original trans doesn't mean it is. Check the transmission for a label on the front side of the torque converter case. If it says "RMH", "RMK", or "RMS" - it's a genuine Honda/Acura reman tranny. This would be a good thing. If you can see black gasket edge sticking out from the case halves, it's a non-Honda reman transmission. If neither of these apply, then the trans is more than likely the original.

If it's the original, I would say it's an extremely fortunate trans to have gone 160K without a major problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
HillTopGraphics

^ Sorry, quoted the wrong person.