Notices

97 CL Radiator fan/Cooling Issues

Old 02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
qz07f5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 CL Radiator fan/Cooling Issues

My CL has all of a sudden developed cooling issues. Whenever the engine is running the radiator fan is not coming on at all. Instead the AC fan is kicking in. Which would explain why my temp gauge is gradually getting past normal and then spiking to overheat level. At first I suspect the fan motor was bad so I replaced it but it still did not come on. I next replaced the fan relay, which I replaced a couple years ago, still no luck. I unplugged the fan and put the volt meter on the plug to see if I could detect a voltage when the engine was running. Nothing. At this point I suspect that the thermostat is bad. But not sure if that explains why the AC fan would kick in and not the radiator fan motor. I'd like to try and resolve it myself before I unload a lot of money and send it to the dealership, especially if its something minor. An ideas or anyone thats run into this problem? I'd appreciate the feedback.

Scrap the TSX and bring back the CLs!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM
98TL3.2

Default Fan motor question

Wzup qz,

I have the 98TL & my fan motor is shot. Did you find the replacement on yours difficult? I ordered the motor online for $30 but I am hesitant to install it myself. Can you provide a little detail on your replacement.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:07 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

qz07f5: Order a new thermoswitch, not sure of the location (guessing it's on the thermostat housing) or the proper torque, but if you don't have a repair manual, the torque for my '92 civic's thermoswitch was 17ft-lbs. This is all assuming your car has a thermoswitch like other Hondas I'm more familiar with, but if you can order a new one, that's the culprit.

If having the A/C on (assuming that was the case when that fan turned on) and driving the car, so air is getting through the radiator, don't help, it sounds like you do also have a thermostat issue, low coolant, air in your coolant, or a combination of those. Even though the cooling fan might not have been running, the A/C fan on that car should have been pulling enough air through the radiator to prevent it overheating.

Last edited by A-series; 03-09-2008 at 04:15 AM.