Notices

Woofers on the TL

Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 AM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woofers on the TL

Ok, now I know there is a woofer in my TL and the sound audio is excellent. But the woofer in the deck lid is not enough bass for me (not looking for a ton). I already have an alpine setup just sitting in my room.

Basically, can I unhook the back woofer and run rca's off of them? Would I need to power them? What kind of mods would I have to do to add my 12's in the trunk?

Thanks for any information.
Matthew
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

You will need to get a hi-lo converter and will have to use an external amplifier to power your new subs. You will have to run power wire from the battery all the way back to the trunk and I am not sure about the 2006, but on mine, the stock amp. had a turn-on wire that I used for my sub amp so it will turn on my sub amp everytime I turn on the stereo.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:30 PM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

do you know where I can pick up a high lo converter? I am good at stereo installs so the wire running would not be an issue here. On the stock woofer however is the amp located near the back woofer or is it in the front? If so I guess I could test which wire will kick on the amps or run something from the fuse box that has a switching 12v current correct?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TRUNK-LOC.html

I can use that ^^ for my hi-lo converter and the remote trigger for the amps. All I need now I guess is the wattage the factory amp puts out for the rear deck subwoofer.

Also are there any aids to taking the trunk carpet apart. I would love to rip into it but I would not want to break anything. Also, where approximately is the hole in the firewall, I went looking for it but so many compartments are covered its hard to tell.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Maybe someone who has a 2004 and up TL can answer some of your questions as I have a 1999 and I am sure alot of things are different.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 AM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Yeah that would be great if any of them would post...
Old 04-18-2007, 03:14 AM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Hey AcuraTL maybe you can answer this. How many amps does your alternator put out, I know it most likely wouldn't be the same but I wanted to get a general idea cause my system takes about 80-100 amps from the alternator.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I have no idea, but if you are just using a normal size amplifier to power your subwoofers, then it should be fine. Just don't put a monster amp. in and expect your alternator to last.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:39 PM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Yeah I think that I am going to replace the 8"er with the sub from elemental designs thats a drop in and then hook up a different amp. And also provide some pretty decent sound deadening as well.

Basically I am going for keeping my trunk space
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I would rather get one 10" sub in a small sealed box, like .5 to 1 cubic feet. It would be 10 times better than just replacing the stock sub with something else. Freeair is freeair, it won't sound good.