Notices

A few questions to get me going

Old 02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
fromthatgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions to get me going

I just recently purchased a 2000 acura tl and there are a few things I need some help with. The first thing is when I accelerate slowly something under the hood makes the whole car shudder when I get to about 30 MPH, then stop a few seconds later. It doesn't do this when I accelerate quickly, like getting on the highway. Also, something under the hood is making a ticking noise, which later I've been told is the map sensor. Could this have something to do with the shuddering, or is the another problem? I am also looking to get an aftermarket cd player since the factory doesnt play burned cd players well. I've done some searching at places like best buy and circuit city, but they say the dash wont fit one. What options do I have for this and what cd players will work?? Do I need a special dash kit or will this have to be a custom job?? Lastly, I have purchased a 2000 watt amp and speakers for the car. Has anyone does this because Im curious on how the car will handle it and what kits will i need as far as power distribution? I hope this isnt too much......please help.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

The ticking noise is probably the valve hitting the piston. You might need to get a valve job. The shudder could be several things like bad engine mount(s).

As for the CD player, there are no kit available that I know of so a job will have to custom make a faceplate to fit your dash. You should just get an aftermarket CD changer (alpine) that you can still control if you stock deck and it will play any CDs you throw at it.

As for the aftermarket amplifier and speakers, it should work fine as long as you use a high-low converter to convert the signal from the stock deck to RCA plugs. What kind of amplifier is it? Just because it says 2000 watts, it does not mean it will put out 2000 watts. But you will have to understand that you probably cannot use the factory sub as the impediance is different and you are better off getting a box custom made and put 2 10s in it.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
The ticking noise is probably the valve hitting the piston. You might need to get a valve job.

You usually give better advice than this.

Is the check engine light on? How many miles does your TL have?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by simplyredvw

You usually give better advice than this.

Is the check engine light on? How many miles does your TL have?
What do you mean? 99% of the time, ticking noise in the engine means it needs a valve job especially with an older vehicle.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:43 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
What do you mean? 99% of the time, ticking noise in the engine means it needs a valve job especially with an older vehicle.

Do you mean a valve job or a valve adjustment? Either way, it's not that common on a '00 TL unless it has high mileage, which isn't mentioned in the original post.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM
fromthatgirl

The check engine light is not on, but it did just hit 147,000 miles yesterday. Also, the problem with getting a cd changer is the ive only found ones where the disc changer is in the back of the trunk, and with speakers and an amp in front of it, it will be a pain to change out cds.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

When I put the box in the trunk for my speakers, I put the amplifier on the box towards the rear seat and the CD changer also, so I can just the cartridge through the rear seat pass-thru.

With 147K miles, if the records show it has never had a valve job, then get one. Does the ticking noise go faster as the rpm goes up?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 AM
fromthatgirl

I didn't hear the ticking until i was looking under the hood with the car running. Its not loud enough to hear while driving, and I think I've narrowed it down to the map sensor, or at least thats what i was told what it was. The roundish container up by the driver side corner. I think i found a dash kit http://www.installer.com/aacars/car_data.php?carid=65, hopefully this will work. If not, I wont be out of a whole lot of money.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally Posted by fromthatgirl
I didn't hear the ticking until i was looking under the hood with the car running. Its not loud enough to hear while driving, and I think I've narrowed it down to the map sensor, or at least thats what i was told what it was. The roundish container up by the driver side corner. I think i found a dash kit http://www.installer.com/aacars/car_data.php?carid=65, hopefully this will work. If not, I wont be out of a whole lot of money.

Wow, that's great you found a dash kit. Just to make sure you do not have a navigation right because you will lose the navigation voice if you take out the stock deck.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by fromthatgirl
I didn't hear the ticking until i was looking under the hood with the car running. Its not loud enough to hear while driving, and I think I've narrowed it down to the map sensor, or at least thats what i was told what it was. The roundish container up by the driver side corner.
Could you post a picture of the part you are talking about? I don't believe the problem is a map sensor, since the check engine light would be on.