Notices

Catalytic converter PO420

Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
sarabu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter PO420

I have my check engine light on on my acura 2.3CL 1998 model. The OBD II code I got from Autozone diagnostic is PO420. Previously I changed the O2 sensors both in the front and the back. The engine light would go away but come right back on in a couple of days. Seems I have to get the catalytic converter replaced. Any ideas on what is the best place to get it replaced? The dealer seems to charge awfully lot amount.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

You can go to any muffler shop to have one put on. Don't go back to the dealer unless your emission warranty is still in effect.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM
simplyredvw

Originally Posted by AcuraTL
You can go to any muffler shop to have one put on.
But whether or not that will solve the check engine light is up to the quality of the converter chosen.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
sarabu

Some people have mentioned that I can buy an aftermarket catalytic converter. If I buy one, where should I buy and can I take it to the mechanic and ask him to replace that for me?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by sarabu
Some people have mentioned that I can buy an aftermarket catalytic converter. If I buy one, where should I buy and can I take it to the mechanic and ask him to replace that for me?
A quick Google turned up over 100 sources.

A muffler shop would know of the best places...be prepared to specify whether you want a performance or high-flow converter, a OEM converter, or an aftermarket unit.

I'd say the aftermarket units won't last as long. My daughter had an aftermarket unit installed on her car (from Midas, at 1/2 the price of the OE part) but man, it sure is SMALL. Passed the emissions test though...:bigok:

Some statres (like California) are cranky about the emissions parts you put on your car, so check around to make sure what you get is approved...
Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 PM
sarabu

Carbuff/Atwell and others,

Thanks so much for responding to my mails. I feel confident that I know something now about what I am doing with my car. I want to go with OEM unit. But should I take the unit if I buy from somewhere to the muffler shop or should I ask them to buy for me?

I hope I am not bugging you by asking stupid questions. One more thing, the check engine light came on after the car has passed the emissions' test. I don't have to worry about emissions test at least for 2 years now.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Carbuff

Shop around both to dealers and the muffler shops.

My last Honda muffler (not a catalytic converter) actually cost LESS at the Honda dealer than at Midas, and it came with a lifetime guarantee too (both pipes and muffler, not just the muffler).

An independant mechanic will definitely get a discount price (wholesale) on parts at the dealer, so coupled with a cheaper labor rate, may be a cheaper alternative.

I think that whatever you choose it will last at least two years.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

It's illegal to replace an OBD2 vehicle's cat. with an aftermarket unit. You have to replace it with a factory unit unless you want to be in violation. The aftermarket cats will usually pass a car then a year later they crap out. Been there and done that before.( on a non obd2 of course)
The factory emissions warranty is like 8/80 usually.