Notices

starter problem

Old 10-21-2006, 10:50 AM
ajth87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problem

hey all,
i have a 93 vigor and i just wanted to know if someone can explain to me where the starter is located and what it looks like. today i went to go start my car and i just hear a clicking sound. i was told that it could be the battery but everything works such as my lights interior and exterior, my radio, everything electrical so i figured not the battery. so i am thinking the starter. can anyone help me to find it please.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Lawrence Coppar

Before you go after the starter, you need to check the battery and terminal connections. Here is a simple test:

Turn on your interior lights. Look at the lights and attempt to start the engine. If the lights go really dim, then it's more than likely a bad terminal connection at the battery or a bad battery.

The clicking sound is the starter solenoid. What happens is that the solenoid gets enough juice to close its contacts making a click. But as soon as the starter begins taking its huge amount of current to turn over the engine, there is a large voltage drop (due to bad battery or battery terminal connection). When the voltage drops, there is not sufficient current to hold the contacts shut so the spring opens the contact in solenoid. But, wait, as soon as this happens there is plenty of juice to hold the solenoid closed and process begins again. Hence the clicking noise.

Check the battery and its terminal connections before you go after the starter. The dimming interior lights is a tell tale sign that there is not sufficient juice to turn engine over.

Last edited by Lawrence Coppar; 10-22-2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:41 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I say it is the battery. When you have a low or dead battery, almost everything electrical still works because they draw very little current, unless the starter. Simple way is take your battery out and bring it to your local auto car parts store and let them run a load test on it.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
ajth87

thanks guys for the advice but today my cousin who is a mechanic came over and took a look. the battery was good it was the starter. he went and he tapped the starter a couple times with a hammer and it started but when i shut the car off and tried to start it, nothing. so i guess that i need to get a new starter. sux but hey as long as i know what it is.