Notices

'05 Tl Manual Vs. Automatic

Old 04-25-2005, 02:33 PM
tlwannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Tl Manual Vs. Automatic

Does anyone know how much quicker the manual TL is than the automatic? I drove the manual and it seemed much quicker than the automatic so I'm leaning toward the manual. Is it worth it???
Old 04-25-2005, 09:42 PM
jeterkm02
hatchbacks r my anti-drug

To me the manual TL is a much better deal, you get bigger brembo four piston calipers at no extra cost, plus manual always makes it a funner drive, unless you're in traffic.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

It really depends on personal preference. If you like driving a manual and likes to have more control and better performance, get the manual. If you get stuck in traffic alot and speed isn't all that important to you, then go with the automatic.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Stave Bomb

I have a manual 04 TL and I love it, except the gear ratios are really short. So if you are shifting at 3,000 RPM's then your passengers will be bobbing back and fourth.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
HiG4s

Originally Posted by Stave Bomb
I have a manual 04 TL and I love it, except the gear ratios are really short. So if you are shifting at 3,000 RPM's then your passengers will be bobbing back and fourth.
I have an M6 and love it, but I learned to drive in a full size Chevy pickup/camper with a manual and took my drivers test with a full size Chevy van with a manual and 6 out of my last 7 cars have been manual. I've had 2 cars that shifted smoother than the TL a 1979 Fiat Spyder (the trans and engine were great, the rest of the car sucked) and a 1998 Acura Integra.

When I have passengers I shift around 2000 RPM,, saves gas and the engine does not produce enough HP there to be too bouncy,, easier to be smooth there.

Also the M6 has a stiffer anti-sway bar than the auto,, not quite as stiff as the A-spec package from what I understand.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Esco5710

I have the auto and I don't know if it's just me thinking too much into it cause I've been reading about the trans recalls from the previous model, etc but it seems to kick back between gears a little to ruff.. Is it just me or am I just too use to drive stick since that's what I've had the last 5 yrs???

Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 09:50 PM
DHAnderson

Before my '05 TL all our cars except for our Minivan were manual. Traffic in the Minneapolis / St. Paul region has gotten so bad that I opted for the Auto. I miss the downshifting, double clutching and control with the manual, but the clutch-in, clutch-out crawl in first gear got to be too painful.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Hawhyen51

MT or AT will depend on your personal preference. I opted for the MT mainly cause I wanted a manual tranny and test driving both confirmed that the MT was what I wanted. As far as the RSB, AT is 17mm and the MT is 20mm. The Aspec package does not include a beefier RSB. You can get a 22mm RSB from Comptech and that combined with the Aspec suspension will give you better handling and cornering capabilities while reducing body sway.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 PM
gingas

My wife & I have a 05 in auto. You can still shift just not w/ a clutch. Besides if I want to shift I'd just drive my 98 Gsr or my 91 Civic Si w/B16a1. sO i HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.lUXURY & SPORTS CAR. iT REALLY IS A PREFERENCE..