Notices

Comptech Icebox noise question

Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
oneilc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comptech Icebox noise question

Hey all,

I have a 2001 CL Type-S (automatic). I just recently had a Comptech Icebox installed. Now I hear a very loud whistle/whining sound. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience or could possible suggest a reason for the noise. From what I understand the Icebox shouldn't sound much louder than the stock airbox (no whistle/whine sound). Would there be anything else that could cause such a sound (perhaps something was disturbed during the installation)?

Symptoms:
When I start the car the sound starts after a few seconds but not right away.
The sound increases slightly with an increase in rpm.
When I turn the car off I hear a sound like a horse whiney (high pitch whistle/whine)

Thanks a lot for any responses in advance.

-Craig
Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Perfectly normal. Intakes make much more noise than stock airboxes because the resonator box is removed. My car does the exact same things as yours does. Just now, I have a little more advanced intake system but it did that before when I had my AEM intake.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:47 PM
oneilc

Thanks for your input. I've been talking to a few people and they made an interesting suggestion. Perhaps the flow into the icebox (from just below the bumper) is being restricted. I've heard of people cutting holes in the bumper area to increase airflow.

I've also noticed that the sound stops when I'm making a right hand turn. The air is coming in from a different angle at that point. I'm not sure if it relates.

The icebox is supposed to be no louder than the stock intake system. What do you think?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

It is supposed to be a little louder than the stock airbox. I did cut a hole on the bottom plastic of the bumper to let in more air.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.