Notices

99 CL timing belt problem

Old 06-20-2004, 12:17 AM
acurakar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 CL timing belt problem

Hi , I took my 99Cl to a honda dealership to replace the timing belt and tranny fluid. ( I got the car 1 week ago) ITS STILL NOT DONE! Was it a mistake to take the Acura to Honda dealer to work on my car? I was told it made no difference. The service manager called to tell me they have to install a new pulley( no Charge to me) because a tooth is broken off of it and they are not sure if it was broken in the removal of the belt or if it was like that beforehand. They also had to to go get parts, that also stalled it another day. I took it here because this is a huge dealership and the Acura dealership is much farther from my home. What question should I ask to make certain this belt is replaced properly? I'm really concerned.
Thanks so much for your help? I did call the place and ask if they replaced acura timing belts. They assured me they did.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:11 AM
AcuraFanatic

There's nothing to worry about, you're getting yourself worked up
Old 06-20-2004, 12:55 PM
acurakar

Thanks acurafanatic. also have you hread that the tranny in the 99 Cl have been
real problems and many have had to be replaced? I read that at another Acura
website. The people at this site also said the cl was a real failure for Acura.
Man I hope this is wrong.. Anyone got an opinion
Old 06-20-2004, 02:42 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by acurakar
Thanks acurafanatic. also have you hread that the tranny in the 99 Cl have been
real problems and many have had to be replaced? I read that at another Acura
website. The people at this site also said the cl was a real failure for Acura.
Man I hope this is wrong.. Anyone got an opinion
1st gen 2.2CL/2.3CL's don't have transmission issues. The 3.0CL really doesn't either, but you won't get the longevity you will want out of that unit. Most of them have to be replaced around 120K-150K from wear and tear. It's about $3000 to put a new one in.

2nd gen CL's (the 3.2CL and 3.2CL Type S) have transmission issues, as do the mechanically similar 2nd gen TL's. It's a different unit from your CL, it's a 5-speed Sportshift automatic vs. your 4-speed auto. My theory is that it's a cooling problem that kills them because they werent' designed properly for the HP they create. 2nd gen TL/CL's have a 100K warranty on their transmissions, although the vast majority don't see problems before 100K miles.

If my theory holds true, and there's several sources indicating it might be indeed a cooling issue, you can try to prolong your transmissions life by purchasing and installing a transmission cooler. Comptech makes one for the 5-speed automatics (www.comptechusa.com) that they recommend purchasing with their supercharger, and they should have one for your 4-speed auto as well. Changing your tranny fluid frequently also won't hurt.

Other than that there's really nothing wrong with the CL, it's a great car, as was the 5th gen Accord in which it's based on. If you're in the snow belt, remove the weather stripping underneath your rear 1/4 panels, as unfortunately these models still use non zinc-oxidized metal like the old school Honda's, and they will rot there if exposed to salt.

Any more questions feel free to drop me a line.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:04 AM
acurakar

Thanks again. I'm going to to ask about having a transmission cooler and super charger installed. My husband will have a fit if this tranny goes so soon after
we got this car. He was told all acuras were good for atleast 200K. ( mine has 108,000) We tradered a car an got my Cl for $6800. I think it was a great deal.
Thanks again for your advice.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:29 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by acurakar
Thanks again. I'm going to to ask about having a transmission cooler and super charger installed. My husband will have a fit if this tranny goes so soon after
we got this car. He was told all acuras were good for atleast 200K. ( mine has 108,000) We tradered a car an got my Cl for $6800. I think it was a great deal.
Thanks again for your advice.
Everything else about the CL is rock solid and if you maintain it, you should have no problem seeing 200K.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:08 PM
ManInCamo
Old School Crew

I am getting ready to do the same thing. My Honda dealer is a lot closer than the Acura dealer. Btw, what was the ball park price for the timing belt change? Any different than the Acura dealer?
Gary

(edit) - I get home, 500 miles away, and hop on my parents pc and what do I find? my dad posting under my account name on honda-acura... WTF?
Old 06-26-2004, 08:12 AM
acurakar

It cost $550 to get the timing belt in and the new water pump I also had them change the tranny fluid total $786 Bucks!!! This car better last!!