Notices

2001 Cl

Old 11-21-2003, 11:45 PM
xkpxtiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cl

anyone know the difference between the CL and the type-s, exactly what is in the type-s that makes it have the extra hp/torque. cause im thinking about getting a CL (not type S for the insurance) then getting the type-s parts into it. Therefore making a type S with the regular one? anyone getting it? so if any1 knows the modifications the type S has over the base CL.....i would be thankful
Old 11-22-2003, 12:48 AM
MaxGeek

This isn't worth doing. You will end up spending a lot more then the cost of a S and insurance increase.

Type-S has a higher compression ratio, actuator, high flow exhaust, different ecu, different suspension, and a few more things i can't think of.

I don't believe anyone has done the conversion. You should look into the 3.5L conversion on a regular CL or seriously just get a type-s, regular CL isn't worth getting. I doubt you will save much on insurance because insurance is based more on cost of repair (same for both pretty much), your history, and engine size which are the same with both.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:51 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I agree, there are alot of parts that are different and it is not worth it. Just labor alone will probably cost you a chunk of change. If you really want Type S performance, just get the Type S.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 11-22-2003, 01:26 PM
xkpxtiger

heh...ok thx and i didnt know there was a 3.5l for the cl?? oh yeah....and i thought the insurance for type-s and regular was different....are you sure its the same? cause i am a 17 year old, gettin out of high school.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:07 PM
MaxGeek

the 3.5L is a conversion not a factory option, its a custom job. It takes a MDX 3.5L block with some custom pistons and other custom work. It cost about $2000 for the basic setup plus installation. It doesn't add much hp, mainly just low end torque. Unfortunately it requires 93 octane which isn't available everywhere.

The insurance will be more with a Type S, but its worth it. Honestly if I couldn't get a Type S I would have never bought my CL. Without the extra power there are so many other cars in its class that are much more enjoyable to drive. The CL is FWD, big, and heavy so handling isn't strong point.

Just so you know unless the car is under your parents name both regular CL and CL-s will have very expensive to insure. I'm 19, clean record, and pay like $1500 for six months.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:19 PM
xkpxtiger

wait so are you talking about a awd conversion as well? seeing as how the mdx is awd........?? and whats the total cost of the conversion gonna cost?? and why does it require 93 octane? do you mean to reach the low end torque or what?
Old 11-22-2003, 09:41 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

No, no AWD, just bumping it to 3.5L and due to higher compression, it will need a higher octane gas.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 11-22-2003, 10:03 PM
xkpxtiger

but it CAN run with lower octane gas right?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:01 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a damn Type-S, ignore this 3.5 conversion crap. The J32A2 can run on lower octane gas but you'd be losing horsepower.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:11 PM
MaxGeek

Do not run the J32A2 on anything lower then 91. People have had problems pinging even with 91. Don't buy a car you can't afford to take care of.