Notices

Bad Steering Gear on '98 CL 2.3L

Old 11-06-2003, 09:29 PM
smadny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Steering Gear on '98 CL 2.3L

Does anybody had problems with Rock and Pinion Steering Gear on their CL? My mechanic says I need to replace one cause I have a leeking Boot clamp at the bottom and are loosing steering fluid...

Per him, the repair will cost circa 550$ !!!!!

Are these things actually designed to break???? How can it break? Do I really need to replace it? what happens if I dont?

Can somebody shine some light on this?

Thanks,

Marek
Old 11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Well, they are not design to break. But the boot, which is rubber can break/tear due to wear and tear. You should replace it because it holds the lubrication in. By the way, it is rack and pinion steering. You might want to check with other mechanics/dealer to see how much it is.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 11-08-2003, 01:58 PM
smadny

I did check it out .. it varies between 800- 1200 bucks to replace it... I think I can replace it at my local mechanic for about 500 though ....

For now I think I willl drive around like this until the thing completely looses fluid .. or is loosing fluid fast..