Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Someone design me a simple system

Old 09-12-2003, 08:04 AM
96GreenCivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone design me a simple system

Ok,
I am not new to audio, but I have never done more then installing my own HU. For starters, I have a 96 Civic Ex. The HU is a Kenwood Excelon X459. It's got two sets of preouts and a sub out (i think). The stock speaker locations are the traditional 6X9's in the rear deck and a 6 1/2 on each door and tweeters in the side mirror sails.

Using the Kenwood as a starting point, what would you suggest as far as new speakers? Maybe the q-form component kickpanels? or just replace in stock front locations? I know I want a sub for some kick, but I'm not trying to break the bank or win any competitions. Just something that sounds nice and full when low and respectable when I turn it up.

I know someone is going to ask me about how much I am willing to spend and that answer is as economical as possible. Are components worth it? Would the HU amp handle the front and get an amp to power the rear and sub? Some simple suggestions like that. Is this a fairly ez DIY? I have a contact at Rockford Fosgate, so I can always get that stuff at cost.

Let me know what all you guys/ girls think.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2003, 12:48 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

To stay very economical... go with coaxial speakers in the front and rear, and power both off the deck. Get a mono amp or 2 channel and bridge it to a single 10 or 12" sub. Going with good quality products, that setup would run you around $500.

Stepping it up a notch, you could stay with coaxial 6x9s in the rear, and get a set of decent components up front. Using a 4 channel amp, power the FRONT speakers with 2 channels, and bridge the other 2 for a single sub again. Power the rear speakers off the deck. Doing this, you'll spend about another $200.

Another option would be the same setup as above, but get a 5 channel amp... power all the main speakers with the 4 channels, and use the sub channel for a sub. Some good 5 channel amps will run you about the price of a 4 channel amp... maybe $50-$100 more.

I wouldnt bother with Q forms in your case... just place the speakers in the stock location. If you get components up front, flush mount the tweeter in the upper portion of the door panel, just in front of the door handle.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:34 PM
rcurley55

If you want economical, skip installing rear speakers all together. What I would do....simple, get a 4 channel amp (RF is fine) that does around 50W x 4.

Grab a set of components for the front doors - I think the best deal around right now is the CDT CL-61's over at thezeb.com - 150 bucks for the pair.

Then grab a single 12in sub, and put it in the proper box. For a budget, I really like the IDv3 series from Image Dynamics. Get a D2 so that you can wire it to the amp.

Have the amp run everything, and you will be fine.