Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

dashboard burnout.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:45 AM
HotLude93
The One And Only

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dashboard burnout.

i was puttin in my neons myself at like 10 last night cuz i just got a body kit and carb tail lights on my 93. and while putting in my neons i pulled out the panel where my stick shift is and the radio panel. i started cutting to many wires and left my car on while i was doin this. my hood started smoking by the digital clock and i started to flip. my fuel and temp bar are like burnt now when i turn the headlight on its half missing, and now my lights for like all the air ways to blow the air dont light up and my dash for the speedometer/rpms doesnt light up. i checked fuses and there good but if anyone has ideas on wtf to do please PLEASE tell me.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:46 AM
HotLude93
The One And Only

oh yeah i cut the wires by the cigarette lighter, there were 5 wires, 1 ,red 1 w/black stripe, 2 black, and white w/ blue strip, i figured out to late that i was supposed to connect the positive to the white w/blue and the ground to the black for the neons. i figured out that the 1 red and one black light up this small blue light that when you turn on your lights that turns on and say your car door is open the lights are on but the car is off itll make a noise so you know your lights are on but when its not connected it wont make the noise. but i still dont know what the other red and black are. i couldnt connect one of the red back together cuz i cut the wire so short and i cant fit my hand in there now. i think i need to buy a sodering iron. please post replies to helkp me out sum. thanx in advance
Old 09-02-2003, 09:48 AM
HotLude93
The One And Only

ok this is the deal homies, i reconnected the 5 wires back together but i still have no power to dash i mean when my headlights are turned of my dash is fine. but then when i turn the headlights on the gas bar and temp bar look burnt, and none on my lights by the vents work and my speedometer/rpm light dont work. also my clock works when lights are on or off. what i think i did was fry the wires and need to get new ones, and the only thing that i "burnt" was the fuel/ temp gauge. the smoke came from above the glove comp area not the hood sorry.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:49 AM
HotLude93
The One And Only

ive gotten no help in the prelude forums so hopefully you guys can help me out here and would know how much this would cost to get repaired.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:12 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

i believe that you burned the hell out of your gauges. as for the fuses, check underneathe the hood also to make sure everything is good. i'd check to see the damage of the wires first before doing anything else because this can cause more melt downs if you short out something else.

i'm surprise that the fuse didn't pop sooner. do you have any other aftermarket parts tapped into your factory wires? if so, did you fuse them properly and where did you fuse them?

for future reference, your cigarette lighter and dash lights draw a small amount of current. if you are going to hook up something like neons, make sure you hook it up from the battery with a FUSE no more than 18" away from the battery terminal.

having such a current draw on such small wires can cause your insulation to burn like it did.

:thumbup:
Old 09-02-2003, 04:16 PM
HotLude93
The One And Only

i see, how am i supposed to check these wires? the only wires i worked with are those 5, if anything i can check around the cigarette lighter area but thats it, i dont think any wires are melted there i think they melted by the glove compartment thats where the smoke came from, and how would the effect of messing with the cigarette lighter mess up the dash lights?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:17 PM
HotLude93
The One And Only

i think it has something to do with the headlights being on becuase this is the only reason the lights dont work when the headlights are turned on. but thats the only time the dashlights do turn on, so you think if i didnt have my headlights on this wouldnt happen?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:25 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

having those lights come on only when your headlights are on could be a direct result of your wires burning. those wires are all tangled up together in a single harness, so when one wire insulation melts, the others do too. trace back to where the melting occurred and isolate each one, tape them with 3M electrical tape, and assure they are not shorted out.

if you are popping fuses right now, it's going to keep on happening. there's no sure way to diagnosis your wiring without assuring your wires are isolated and taped up. open up your glove box and see what's going on..

after you get this fixed, please post up any electrical thing you plan to do to your car before hand so we can help. :thumbup:
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 AM
toyman99

What wires did you cut?

Why dont you put it back the way it was (reconnect everything) and then start over.

Why did you work with the car on? Thats the worst thing you can do. If it is smoking, that means a fuse didnt blow and something got damaged/burnt out.