Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

question about subwoofer box building

Old 07-13-2002, 04:22 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about subwoofer box building

i was wondering how hard it is to build a subwoofer box. i mean, the actualy building process is not hard at all but how hard is the design of the box? i heard that a certain sized sub must have a certain amount of airspace, not too much or too little or it will not sound right, is this true? what other considerations are there?
Old 07-13-2002, 08:59 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: question about subwoofer box building

Originally posted by ziggyziggy
i was wondering how hard it is to build a subwoofer box. i mean, the actualy building process is not hard at all but how hard is the design of the box? i heard that a certain sized sub must have a certain amount of airspace, not too much or too little or it will not sound right, is this true? what other considerations are there?
the easiest box to build would be a sealed. If you know how to measure internal volume, are mechanically inclined, and can use a measuring tape, table saw, and other basic tools, it shouldn't be too hard. The desing of the box depends on what it's going in. A simple rectangular box to fit in your trunk would be alot easier than say building a wedge box to fit behind the seat of a truck that has to clear the hump in the middle. As far as airspace, its not as simple as you heard. Each manufacturer includes specs for thier subs, one of those specs is recommended internal volume. It would be a good idea to stay pretty close to those numbers, when I say pretty close, I mean if they recommend 1.0 cu ft. you want no bigger than say 1.25 cu ft and no less than .75 cu ft. If you put a sub that is supposed to be in a box w/ 1 cu ft of space into a box with 2 cu ft. of space, it won't sound right. I hope this helps. Oh yeah, if a sub is meant for ported enclosures, dont put it in a sealed enclosure.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:07 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

thanks for the insight. so when u buy a sub it will tell u the size of the box needed?? if so then i should be able to go from there? also, i see many sub boxes are slanted in the front, does it need to be slanted?
Old 07-13-2002, 09:20 PM
b00gers

no they dont need to be slanted.....the sub's spec sheet will tell you everything.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:37 PM
b00gers

when you buy a sub it will tell you how much air space is needed....it wont tell you the dimentions of the box. you gotta figure it out yourself.

if you want...post the sub and we probably can help with the dimentions of the box.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:15 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

yeah Ziggy, like Will said, they give you specs, but it's cu ft volume, vas, fq, crap like that. You have to know how to calculate internal volume in order to come up with the specs of your box. I forget exactly what the formula is to calculate that, maybe will remembers. No the subs dont have to be slanted, but in some applications, it is best if they are. Like if you are putting subs in a sealed box into the trunk of a honda. It is best if you have the subs firing towards the trunk, the more space there is between the subs and the closest wall, the more bass you will get from them. It just a matter of physics. I notice this even with my Cerwin Vega house speakers, they are 15" and ported and the closer I have them to the wall, the more they sound like *ss, if I give them about a foot of space, they f*cking pound.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:32 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

cool, thanks guys. have any of you built a sub box before? are u happy with the results? i would not prefer to pay like $70 for a 10 inch box when i can buy $5 of mdf and make em myself along with accessories like wire clips and stuff maybe to a grand total of $15.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:55 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

cool, thanks guys. have any of you built a sub box before? are u happy with the results? i would not prefer to pay like $70 for a 10 inch box when i can buy $5 of mdf and make em myself along with accessories like wire clips and stuff maybe to a grand total of $15.
Yeah, I did. I built a ported box for 2 Fosgate 10's, it sucked *ss hardcore. I put so much effort into the design and building of that damn box and all for nothing. I listened to it for like 2 days then I threw it in the garbage and bought one from a local shop. If you're gonna undertake this, I would go to sounddomain.com and see if anyone there can tell you where to find some free box building software, they told me where to get it but I didn't think I needed it. You will need the specs of the subs you're building the box for too, so make sure you have it when trying to use the software.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

every box ive built has been full sealed, and cost me well over 200 bucks. my little fiberglass box i am building for the hatch is going to be in the 200-300 dollar range

i planned it around $80 wned:
Old 07-14-2002, 08:29 PM
ziggyziggy
i am asian

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi

every box ive built has been full sealed, and cost me well over 200 bucks. my little fiberglass box i am building for the hatch is going to be in the 200-300 dollar range

i planned it around $80 wned:
dang, why did it end up costing so much? i plan to do it wuth mdf if i ever ginan do it or maybe just buy it and get ripped off?

Quick Reply: question about subwoofer box building