Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Head Unit powered sub???

Old 07-10-2002, 02:55 PM
integramodder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit powered sub???

does anyone know if its possible to hook up a subwoofer to a head unit?

i want to try to hook up my subwoofer from my computer upto my car. its probably just a 6 inch woffer in a nice ported enclosure..but what the helll...

maybe ill just plug it into the rear speakers and see how it sounds...
Old 07-10-2002, 03:03 PM
b00gers

are you going to be using an amp? if so look at the threads below....this has been covered...

if you are planning to power the 6" sub with the HU, just plug it in as you would a speaker...although i cannot comment on the good you will get.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

I ran a 10" Kenwood off the rear left channel of my Alpine 60x4 deck way back in the day when I didn't know what i was doing. It sounded alright, actually not all that great. The highs were muffled all around, and you have to run the sub full range unless you slap a low pass filter in line. I would just wait until you have money for a real sub/amp setup.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:29 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by Cashis EG8
I ran a 10" Kenwood off the rear left channel of my Alpine 60x4 deck way back in the day when I didn't know what i was doing. It sounded alright, actually not all that great. The highs were muffled all around, and you have to run the sub full range unless you slap a low pass filter in line. I would just wait until you have money for a real sub/amp setup.
werd, that setup you just talked about would sound like crap, harly worth damaging your speakers over.

Last edited by SiClone; 07-10-2002 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:33 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Head Unit powered sub???

Originally posted by integramodder
does anyone know if its possible to hook up a subwoofer to a head unit?

i want to try to hook up my subwoofer from my computer upto my car. its probably just a 6 inch woffer in a nice ported enclosure..but what the helll...

maybe ill just plug it into the rear speakers and see how it sounds...
Im sure its possible, but I dont think it would sound too good. First off, I think the subwoofer is 8ohms so its not gonna get much power. But hey, if you're feeling like experementing, go for it.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:02 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

The head amp will not give you much of anything beyond low volume.... as in elevator music! Head units rated at 50w x 4 are actually about 8 watts rms/channel..... hardly a strong amp for a sub.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:27 PM
integramodder

alright, the thing is, this is from my cambridge PC 5.1 system...
at my desk, it puts out an amazing amount of bass for its size. Im not bass crazy, im not going into competition, I just want some decent low end without taking up trunk space.

this thing is maybe 9"x6"x15", very small, just what I need. itll fit right behine my seat on the floor.

I got a pioneer and i think there is a feature for making the rear channels for sub sound only. so theoretically, if I bridge the two rear channels, then that gives me about 20 watts total to the little pecker. I dont think the system at home gives it much more.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:45 AM
cheezthis
sound/acoustical engineer

Don't do that...I know what speaker package you're referring to.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Originally posted by fastball
The head amp will not give you much of anything beyond low volume.... as in elevator music! Head units rated at 50w x 4 are actually about 8 watts rms/channel..... hardly a strong amp for a sub.
Actually most decent head units will give 17-19 watts RMS, and the Alpine Vdrive 60x4 models give out 27 watts RMS. That being said, that is still not close to enough power for a subwoofer.

I'm not sure if you should bridge the rear channel on your headunit tegmodder, head units weren't meant to run in bridged mode and you might overhead the unit thus blowing the internal amps. Then you'll have to buy a new headunit!
Old 07-13-2002, 11:49 AM
integramodder

WOOFER SPECS

it says there that the woofer is only 20 watts rms, so i think a single channel would push it with enough power.

but that means loosing a single rear....which one should i take out? right or left?

Quick Reply: Head Unit powered sub???