Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp. Install (noob question)

Old 07-07-2003, 07:50 AM
pnthr30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp. Install (noob question)

I want to put one of my amps. in my car………a Punch 400a4, but I don’t know the specifics of the wires and where they go. I pulled everything out pretty cleanly from my old car, so I shouldn’t have to get any new wires (Acura CL to Acura Integra). I have a rough idea of were things go, but don’t trust my knowledge to hook it up and turn it on. Here are a few specific questions I have (I know some are pretty remedial, but I have never hooked an amp up, just messed around once they were already going).

I need a new ground wire (this is the only wire I did not pull out because it was cold, I was lazy, and didn’t want to follow it and disconnect it). What gauge should I get? Is 8 gauge good enough? The power wire (red one) is 4 gauge (in case that matters). Keep in mind that previously I was running much more power than I plan on running now. In the CL I had a Punch 250a2 and a Punch 400a4. Right now I just want to hook up the 4 channel (400a4).

I don’t know where to fasten the ground wire……is anywhere metal on the chassis ok?

I don’t know what to do with the speaker wires……..(I know this is stupid, but I forgot where they came from). Do you run them back to the deck or directly to the speakers?

I don’t know where I am going to put the amp yet………I could go easy and just mount it on the back of the flip down back seats, or I could try to mount it in the side of the back of the trunk, or maybe build some kind of shelf for it in the trunk, or maybe just build another “floor” to the trunk that is about 4” higher than the current one and put it under there……could I put it under the drivers seat? How much does this need to breath? Any ideas? I am trying to keep as much room in the trunk as possible (thus no box for now).

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:07 AM
smokedogg

1. use a ground wire that is the same size as your power wire, so in your case go with 4 guage.

2. you can bolt/screw the ground wire to almost anything that has a clean metal surface. However it is best if you can bolt it directly to the chasis. My grounds are connected to bolts behind my rear seats, and they've been fine there for about 2 years now. Just make sure that there isn't any paint, rust, or anything else exposed on the area you will be connecting the bolt to (you can just sand off any paint that may be there).

3. The speaker wires go directly from your amp to each of your speakers.

4. As for putting your amp under your seat, I would only do this as a last resort, mainly because of theft issues. If someone ever broke into your car, the glove box and underneath the seats are gonna be where they look first. I'd say stick with putting the amp on the backside of your back seat, you won't lose any trunk space that way.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Originally posted by smokedogg
I'd say stick with putting the amp on the backside of your back seat, you won't lose any trunk space that way.
thats where i have mine at, and ive never had any problems with theft

but listen to smokedogg, i agree with what he says
Old 07-08-2003, 04:50 AM
pnthr30

Thanks a lot guys! :cheers: