Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

alarm install with factory OEM immobilizer unit?? help!!

Old 06-28-2003, 09:32 PM
oneslowrex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, hiding the brain is a tricky part usually depending on the car. I've found that behind the gauge pod or somewhere equally devilish works well. Although I have done a few installs that have placed the brain in unthinkable locations (rear shock tower).

As for a thief tracing wires, make sure that all your wires are wrapped in electrical tape, wire loom, or both, that way there's no way to tell what wire is what and with all the wiring under the dash it's unlikely to trace without lots of time and light, something most thieves won't have access to.

The alarm will continue to sound as long as the power, ground, and siren wires are not cut. As for disconnecting the battery, just add a back up battery to the alarm (dei part 520t) provides power to the alarm even if the car's battery is disconnected. Battery back up sirens are also nice since they'll continue to go off no matter what.

Yes there are hood cable locks, which prevent the hood release from being pulled, dei makes one but I can't remember the part # right now. And the siren should be mounted somewhere that's not accessible without major disassembly. (behind bumper is usually good)
Sorry for the long post. Info's on the way.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:52 PM
bluersx510

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by oneslowrex
Well, hiding the brain is a tricky part usually depending on the car. I've found that behind the gauge pod or somewhere equally devilish works well. Although I have done a few installs that have placed the brain in unthinkable locations (rear shock tower).

As for a thief tracing wires, make sure that all your wires are wrapped in electrical tape, wire loom, or both, that way there's no way to tell what wire is what and with all the wiring under the dash it's unlikely to trace without lots of time and light, something most thieves won't have access to.

The alarm will continue to sound as long as the power, ground, and siren wires are not cut. As for disconnecting the battery, just add a back up battery to the alarm (dei part 520t) provides power to the alarm even if the car's battery is disconnected. Battery back up sirens are also nice since they'll continue to go off no matter what.

Yes there are hood cable locks, which prevent the hood release from being pulled, dei makes one but I can't remember the part # right now. And the siren should be mounted somewhere that's not accessible without major disassembly. (behind bumper is usually good)
Sorry for the long post. Info's on the way.
How do backup sirens work? Do they only come on when the main one fails? Or are both sirens going off.. and when u deactivate the main one, then the backup then turns off too.. but if a thief cuts wires/battery connection.. the backup continues to go off?

Also, i saw the DEI hood lock.. i am just wondering how effective that really is..