Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Can you connect an AMP to the stock stereo?

Old 07-06-2002, 08:16 PM
NoSuchSol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you connect an AMP to the stock stereo?

ok, n00bie question there.... I doubt that a stock stereo would have a hookup but it would be nice to. I could just keep the stocker and get some bass.

TIA,
Drew
Old 07-06-2002, 08:17 PM
XSrcing

ask the guys in the electronics forum. they will give you a really good answer.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Red GSR

I'll just give you a quick answer and say yes. You have to buy this adapter though to convert the connections since the stock radio does not have preouts.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:48 PM
NoSuchSol

danke.. so an adapter it is...

but it's picken tempting, i want an MP3/CD player.. be easier for that mp3 collection that I don't have(RIAA sucks!)
Old 07-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Kaiz

If you are referring to just adding a subwoofer and amplifier to an otherwise completely stock sound system, the answer is yes. I know this because that is what I have in my integra. A 12" JLW3 and a Koiiler amp hooked up to the stock CD deck. Don't ask me how though, cause I have no idea how it was done. I took it to a shop near where I live.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:24 AM
MartyMarGSR
JRSC GSR

hey, there's a lil converter u can get which lets u tap into two of your speakers (most likely back ones would be easiest), and it sends the signal thru this lil box and it turns it into a way to have outputs for an amp.

I have one of these converters layin around cuz I had bought it for hookin up a system to my stock deck, but I ended up never getting subs (poor college kid), until I got my tax return, and i got a deck then to, so i dont need the converter.

I'll sell it to ya, never used, box and everything.
email me
martinz@u.washington.edu
Old 07-07-2002, 07:02 AM
bucash

Also sony makes an amp that has speaker wire inputs so you dont need any adapter, but yes it is done everyday and is very possible.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:58 AM
b00gers

to simply answer your question, yes.

either use the speaker wire input on the amps, or the RCA converter box, i never remember the actual name of those things.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:57 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
to simply answer your question, yes.

either use the speaker wire input on the amps, or the RCA converter box, i never remember the actual name of those things.
its called a hi to low converter, very easy to use and will allow you to hook up your amp to factory stereo
Old 07-07-2002, 02:08 PM
LjN_728

Yea you could hook an amp to a stock HU, but why would u? I'd understand if money was a prob, but if it's not, i'd buy an aftermarket HU with preout because it makes a world of a difference in terms of quality of bass. Let me try to paint a picture. you kno the difference between analog and digital right? Analog is your stock HU, whereas digital is your aftermarket HU.

RCA convertors, of hi-low convertors, are relatively inexpensive. Basic simply ones start from $5 to $25. Get the very basic one because they're all pretty much the same.

If you're wondering which aftermarket HU is good, there's so many. I prefer the pioneer because of it's on/off switch in the HU. Another favorite is the Kenwood HU that offers like 3 preouts, which is good when adding multiple amps.

Hope this bit of info helps!