Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I need help I know nothing about audio

Old 07-06-2002, 05:10 PM
94 Accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help I know nothing about audio

My 94 accord needs new speakers badly . I think that they're pretty much blown . The door speakers and the rear dash speakers need to be replaced . What I need to know is what I can use to replace the factory speakers . I have a limited budget so I can't go overboard but let me know my options thanks .
Old 07-06-2002, 06:00 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I believe you have 6 1/2's in the front and back. You can put 6x9's in the back but you have to cut out the opening on the existing mounting plate, its not bad, I did it on my car using a dremel tool. Up front we are limited on our choices when money is an issue because of the depth of the opening. It is my opinion that the best speaker to put up there is the Kenwood DualMag 6 1/2" because of its super slim design but better than expected performance, the speakers up front will probably cost you anywhere from $89-$130. In the back you can pretty much go with any 6x9. I paid $59 for a pair of Polk Audio EX II 6x9's at Fry's, these speakers retail at $159 so I think I did alright.
These are the 6x9's I got

And these are the Kenwood DualMags, very sweet speakers, both in looks and sound/performance

Last edited by VRGNCD5; 07-06-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:43 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

If you can afford it, you should get 6x9's for the back.... that's the only size before subs that can produce any kind of bass.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:35 PM
b00gers

replacing the speakers is a very simple job. www.crutchfield.com makes it even easier. order from them and they include a harness so you wont have to cut or modify the stock one.

their prices are a bit higher, but the service is excellent. you can always call them for suggestions and trouble-shooting problems.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:26 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
replacing the speakers is a very simple job. www.crutchfield.com makes it even easier. order from them and they include a harness so you wont have to cut or modify the stock one.

their prices are a bit higher, but the service is excellent. you can always call them for suggestions and trouble-shooting problems.
Not that cutting the plug for the speaker is a bad thing. Personally, I think the service crutchfield provides is for people who are stereo illiterate. The fact that he has made the observation that his speakers are blown eliminates him as one of those people, feel me? Having replaced all the speakers in my "94Uhkord" the hardest part is going to be the front speakers. When I had my 4th gen civic, it was simple, remove the speaker grill, replace the speaker, put the grill back on. On the accord, you have to take off the whole door panel, which isn't hard to do, but it can be frustrating.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:50 PM
b00gers

i guess cutting it wont be bad because the stocks are never going back it...but it does eliminate soldering or crimping....

:dunno:
Old 07-06-2002, 10:38 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
i guess cutting it wont be bad because the stocks are never going back it...but it does eliminate soldering or crimping....

:dunno:
this is true.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:30 PM
LjN_728

If you really want to save money, cut the installation cost by doing it yourself, DIY, or bargain the heck out of the audio store by cutting the tax off and getting free installation!!
Old 07-07-2002, 03:42 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by LjN_728
If you really want to save money, cut the installation cost by doing it yourself, DIY, or bargain the heck out of the audio store by cutting the tax off and getting free installation!!
The best way is to do it yourself like you said, that's what I do. Also, somebody said Cruthfield has high prices, which may be true on some things but the price they wanted for the JBL 600 watt powervalve amp was about 100 bucks cheaper than the cheapest stereo shop in town, good thing was one of them matched the price for me:thumbup: I also got my Alpine $150 less than the retail price, it was a month old floor model and carried the same warranty as a brand new unit:thumbup: My subs came from Best Buy 2 for $120, the Cerwin Vega HED DVC 12's. I can't complain at all, you just have to know how to shop, and have some install skills like me.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:45 PM
III 4U2NV III

I agree, the prices at Crutchfield have always been an issue but don't forget, when you're ordering headunits, speakers, etc, they give you ALL the necessary harnesses/kits and step-by-step instructions to help ease your installation. And, if you don't like what you bought, you can return it to them at their expense. And 2 for 1 deals on subs can be purchased from Crutchfield as well.

Quick Reply: I need help I know nothing about audio