Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Integra Audio - General Newbie Question

Old 06-14-2003, 12:16 PM
sn81848

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Audio - General Newbie Question

Hello - I just got a 94 Integra GS-R, got a few general questions regarding installing new audio components.

1. There are component speakers in the front door, I'd like to replace them. Can I replace just the woofer, but not the tweeter, or should I replace both. Or could I use just a regular (coaxial or full-range, whatever you'd call it) 6.5" and forget about the tweeter (Crutchfield actually suggests this option as the easiest).
2. Where, if any, are the stock crossovers for the front components? Should they be replaced or can they be kept.
3. Is there a need to run new speaker wires, or can I use the stock wires (I'm looking to run a new head unit that's rated for 4x50W max. which seems about typical for what i can get for under $200).

I'm looking to spend about $300 total for new HU, and front and rear speakers. Maybe a little more. I'm not looking to install an amp or sub. I would also like to keep the modifications and hassle at a minimum.

If there's a FAQ or previous thread, or good website on this, please point me to it.

Thanks much!
Stefan
Old 06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
b00gers

Default Re: Integra Audio - General Newbie Question

1. if you are looking for some very basic without using an external amp to power them, i would just get a good set of coax, since you wont have a lot of power going to them. a coax has a tweeter, which sits ontop of the woofer. if getting some coax, i would unplug the stock tweeter and just let it sit there to cover up the hole in the door panel.

2. i believe the stock tweets have a xover on them. they are very small and mounted on the magnet. when the tweeters go, the xover goes. they arent the traditional rectangular xovers you usually see.

3. the factory wires are very thin. they arent good enough if you want to run more power through them. but if you are planning to just get an aftermarket deck, powering a set of coax, then i would just leave them in.

just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:45 PM
crxb16er

factory wires....yah leave them in if ur just planning on a 50x4 setup not worth the effort to have it rewired if ur not planning on upping the wattage.