Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

box plans...

Old 06-05-2003, 10:36 PM
epoxy
Regulator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default box plans...

my subs require a 1 ft. box (each), and i was wondering what peoples opinions were on doing each in their individual compartments in the box or making it one big box.

I'm familiar with the basics of building a box (been reading stuff forover a month now), but never actually built one. kinda discouraged to brace one big box (not really all that sure how).

any suggestions would be helpful

ps-making a vented box is hard. suggestions/comments/links would be nice
Old 06-05-2003, 11:56 PM
97teg

As long as each speaker has enough air space i don't think it matters. People will do two chambers as a precaution incase one speaker blows or somethign happens to it, it won't affect the other speaker. The brace will make the box stronger which is always a good thing. Vented boxes are very sensitive to slight volume changes in the box. Sealed can be off by a fair amount before it will make a noticable difference. I would suggest starting with a sealed box. Make sure you take all you measurements a few times to make sure you have them right. I suggest calking the all the joints to make sure no air will leak. Besides that there isn't much to it besides cutting and assembling. To brace it just cut out a piece of mdf the size of the interior of the box and just screw it in so each chamber is the same size (measure). I would use atleast 3/4 in mdf.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
acuradriva

i use seperate chambers in sealed boxes because its a good brace.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:33 AM
epoxy
Regulator

My friend rubberized (i think it was rubber stuff) the inside of his box for a little added protection. Any type of stuff that anyone can recommend i put in my box?

i was maybe thinking that dynamat spray stuff, but i dont know if it has that much over rubberized stuff (bunch of money vs. 3 bucks)
Old 06-10-2003, 09:27 PM
epoxy
Regulator

little help
Old 06-12-2003, 12:32 PM
acuradriva

that stuff won't do much if anything. Unless you mean silicone around the seams on the inside of the box. that makes it air tight.