Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

'03 Accord custom audio?

Old 05-18-2003, 05:34 AM
bmaillard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Accord custom audio?

Hi everone,

I just bought a new 2003 Accord EX-L (without Nav) and would like to upgrade the sound system. My salesman told me that the stock deck could be used as a pre-amp, but I am starting to wonder whether this is true or not. :-) I suppose they'll tell you anything to make a sale, right? :-)

It seems to me that I'll need to use a high-pass filter/converter to use external amps with the stock deck, right? I'd like to add my own amps, speakers, crossovers, and sub. Has anyone done this?? Why can't I find any info out there??! What's the best way to do it? I've always done my own custom sound installations, but I'm a little leery about doing this one myself! :-)

Any tips, ideas, and tricks would be GREATLY appreciated! And if you know of any links/sites with good info, please pass it along!

Thanks,
-brian-
Old 05-18-2003, 10:10 PM
ahvl

Hi!

I have 03 Accord V6 EX Sedan. I got my system installed last month, Boston ProSeries 6.5 components in the front, Boston Rally RM9 6x9 for rear with JL 450/4 amp, no sub. Still keep stock deck. This JL amp and every other JL amp has built-inhigh/low converters as well as crossovers, so you don't need to add them separately.

I am sure that our stock deck doen not have any pre-out as most of other OEM decks. My system sounds is pretty nice. Of course, it is the best if you can replace the OEM deck. You can add an aftermarket deck (have to throw out the cover cd lid), and the sound will be a bit clearer and stronger. But, you still have to keep OEM deck for AC/Vent and alarm because they can't work all together at once (now stock cd deck can be used for cd storage). That's why I decided to keep stock deck which is nice and neat.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:29 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

elitecaraudio.com
caraudioforum.com

check them out learn more about car audio and then
decide which way to go.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:51 AM
myles

my friend has an '03 accord and i can tell you that what you want to do all you will be able to do is use the high input by splicing into the rear speaker wires for the high input going to the amp. I had to do this on my eclipse because i couldn't afford a new headunit. My friend with your same car was planning on doing that for his amp and just having a couple subs in the back.