Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Mephis subs question.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:31 PM
White[Pony]
For relaxing times...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mephis subs question.

I have a seemingly good hookup from a guy I work with to get a set of two 12" Memphis subs that look to be in good condition, and not blown up. He wants $50 for a set of two subs, no amps or box, or anything, just the subs. Should I get em? He's got two sets of two for $50 each. I'm still at work, but if anyone can tell me if these are good quality and good sounding subs, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:51 AM
White[Pony]
For relaxing times...

also, what would be a good amp to power these?

I have a Clarion HU, and I know it has at least one RCA on it, since I took it out once. I think it also has some kind of subwoofer controller or something. I bought the car with it already installed.
My work has Sony Xplod, Alpine, MTX, some Baja crap, and Bazooka amps. I have to buy it from my work since the discount is massive. Unless there's a better brand I could get cheaper with the same output levels as one my work has.

I just have regular speakers for the rest of the car, don't intend to put an amp for component speakers on this HU, as it sucks. So the subs will be all I'm looking for. Subs I'm getting, I've decided, and I just need amp tips. any help would own. thanks.

btw: the subs are Memphis Studio models. 400watts max, 300 RMS.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:45 AM
Randy12vp

Sounds like a good deal based on the price and the condition of the subs.
I think you could use either an Alpine, Bazooka or MTX amp to power the subs.
Especially if you can get a good deal on any of these amps.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:34 PM
97teg

I herd the digital alpines on a type r sub and the alpine amp blew away the mtx. The alpine was much cleaner and bass was a lot tighter not boomy like the mtx. IVe herd some bazooka amps have had overheating problems. Look up some reviews on the net.