Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sub box pain in the ass

Old 05-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub box pain in the ass

I love the subs in my car and can't live without loud bass and all but my sub box is just beginning to annoy me. Its 3 cubic feet so its huge and probable weighs 100+ lbs with the 2 12's in it. The weight makes a noticable difference when driving. I was thinking about going to one 12 in a ported box or somehting instead but its not really loud enough so i began thinking about fiberglass boxes. How much do you think it would cost to get a fiberglass box built and how much lighter would it be? sorry for the long post. thanks.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:30 AM
Randy12vp

Most shops will give you a quote on a custom fiberglass box based on an hourly rate and what else you had in mind as far as finishing materials you decide to use.
There will be however a significant weight reduction as compared towhat you currently have.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:42 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

get 2 powerful 10's, like Boston Pro's... they go in a tiny box and are loud as hell. Saves space, saves some weight.

Ported boxes tend to be quite a bit larger than sealed boxes.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:50 AM
epoxy
Regulator

i'm on the east coast (nc) so things are pretty shitty around here.

just to give you an idea though, the price for the fiberglass box was almost twice the price of a regular (mdf) box.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:59 AM
myles

make your own dude, some fiberglassing is easy like with the tire well, i was going to fiberglass mine and just put a single kicker solobaric s12l7 or s15l7 but i never ended up doing that. IF you really want a professional one id just go around to different audio shops and ask but be prepared to pay a lot. Id say sell the subs you have and get a DVC sub which is like 2 in one
Old 05-25-2003, 10:20 PM
eXcelon969

a DVC sub is in no way like having 2 subs. it's benefit is more wiring options when paired with multiple subs. also some ppl prefer to separately amp the two voice coils. but it's still one sub in the end.