Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Kenwood Excelon Refurbished headunits?

Old 05-09-2003, 08:54 AM
ChillOutWayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood Excelon Refurbished headunits?

i was looking on ebay for a new headunit and i was sold on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X759...its got the 4.5 volt preout, high output rms for speaker and system e's and system q ex and d-mask...and i found it for 194 plus shipping....BUT it says they are refurbished but brand new? anyway i was wondering if anyone bought them this way. they come with 3 month warrantee and whatever, i know this is a great headunit but was wondering if anyone had experience or whatever with refurbished headunits...thanx alot in advance.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:01 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

I dont have experience with Kenwood per say. But I picked up my Nakamachi 45z refurb'd to new condition at a low price a while back. No problems whatsoever on that deck.

That 3 month warranty seems a little short, they gave me a 1year warranty on the refurb Nak though.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:40 PM
99AccordCoupe

Don't do it. My Kenwood Excellon XC-858 (It's the 8 series not sure which one exactly off the type of my head) was great for the first year. But then the Mask wouldn't flip around anymore. All the fuses were fine, but it didn't flip. A week later it flipped by itself and works fine now. But... Several screensavers are not working now. There are no graphic displays anymore like the lights are out or something, but when I go into menus it's fine. Now it completely powers down by itself every now and then. Shuts off the amps and goes black. I hit the power button and it wakes up like nothing happened and it picks up right where it started. Really weird.

Anyway, get a headunit that doesn't have the power flip anything. It's just another thing that can break on it. The kenwood does have a lot of tuning capability, but how many times will you fine tune your system? Once you find something that works for you, you never touch it again. It's not worth it.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Randy12vp

Although a refurbished deck may at the time seem like a great deal, the drawback is usually the warranty that comes with it. Also you have to consider that any way you look at it, you're buying a unit with a band aid on it.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:20 PM
96GreenCivic

Yeah I wouldn't buy it. I would rather buy a new, lower grade eXcellon. I've got a non motorized X459 and it works great. I usually dont' even take off the face either, only when I am in an unfamiliar area.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:12 AM
ChillOutWayne

thanx for the help guys...i think im gonna skip the refurbished crap and go with a brand new older 8 series, the kdc-x817 to be exact...it doesnt have the rotary vol that i wanted but it does have the high volt preouts and system e's and system Q EX
Old 05-14-2003, 11:46 AM
projekakkord
Southernplayalistic

Beware of the kenwood d-masks, the majority of them have a data ribbon that controls the visuals on the faceplate when it flips around that goes out. I have a kdc-9017 and I just got mine fixed for $86 but I'm selling it to a friend. I upgraded to an alpine 7897:-D