Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

PostGrungeJunky's RSX project

Old 05-08-2003, 08:05 PM
PostGrungeJunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome! finally someone who WANTS to put it under their seat!

hey fellow cal poly dude! (i goto the one way down there:fawk: )
Old 05-08-2003, 08:24 PM
rcurley55

I would without a doubt go US Amps, a/d/s/, eclipse then Avionix - now I have never heard of that last company. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:59 PM
97teg

Originally posted by PostGrungeJunky
awesome! finally someone who WANTS to put it under their seat!

hey fellow cal poly dude! (i goto the one way down there:fawk: )
Are you at cal poly right now? Im in my second year here. Its school
Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 PM
PostGrungeJunky

well, i goto cal poly pomona, hence the "one way down there" i guess SLO to pomona is like berkely is to ucla, both got same mascots, colors, ones older etc etc...anyways yup. it's my second year too.

anyways back to my stereo

curley, according to the a/d/s specs, how much power will my drivers receive? so far it's my top candidate due to its size/price a/d/s says 4x75 at 2 ohms. and 150x2 @ 2 ohms. however the website doesnt specify its ability to make 3 channels. (some other makers state eg "4/3/2")..if im doing my math right...does that mean the 2 fronts will get 75w each and the sub will get 150w? (unless i'm gettin that sub wattage wrong, that seems awful weak...) ** the ads manual states that continuous beidged 2 ohm operation is unrecommended and it'll overheat and shutdown.... maybe i should go for the us amp or eclipse instead... im so confused
Old 05-09-2003, 06:30 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

You will kill that A/D/S amp if you bridge it mono to 2ohms.. the amp bridged will produce 150watts x2 at 4ohms. Look at the website again, I havent checked but I'm 99%sure that's what it's gonna tell ya.

Ebay has some great prices on US Amps which are stable at 2ohm bridged...

I'd stay away from Eclipse.. they run quite hot and for me the sound quality wasnt as great after swapping it for a PPI. Eclipse accentuates the highs higher than usual... I didnt like it.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:03 AM
rcurley55

moofoo is right about the a/d/s/ amp, but I will say that those amps seem to be super-human. I have run one of their 12"s with a total of 100W, and it sounded bad-ass.

I also swapped out my 75x4 RF (that benched at well over 100w per channel) for an a/d/s/ PQ40.2 (100 x 4) and it sounded like a new system....HUGE difference.

The a/d/s/ will run any which way you want it to...it's quite possibly one of the more flexible amps out there.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:46 AM
PostGrungeJunky

i'm really sorry this is gonna frustrate u guys but

these are the specs for the us amp 4300:

75 Watts x 4 into 4 Ohms
80 Watts x 4 into 3 Ohms
90 Watts x 4 into 2 Ohms
180 Watts x 2 Bridged into 4 Ohms

these are the specs for the a/d/s p450:

50w x 4 into 4 ohms
75w x 4 into 2 ohms
150w x 2 Bridged into 4 ohms

for each specific amp, exactly how much power @ how many ohms will each driver/channel in my setup be getting? what gets bridged? and at those settings will my amps run stable, no sweat? i'm really sorry u guys probly explained this already (i looked at curley's arc explaination above, and moofoo's jl diagrams) but...if i get a clear enuf answer, i swear this is the last time i'll ask about amp power

once this gets settled, geez this amp talk has been going on for like a dozen replies now, we can talk installation
Old 05-09-2003, 08:02 AM
rcurley55

if you ran the US Amp:
ID CXS62's get 90W each
IDQ10 gets 180W

if you ran the a/d/s/:
IDCXS62's get 75W each
IDQ10 gets 150W
Old 05-12-2003, 07:35 AM
PostGrungeJunky

will the difference in wattage between the usamp and the a/d/s justify the extra few hundred bucks for the usa? if not, a/d/s is my final amp choice.

ok amp installation question:

the amp mounts to a wooden board right...now for back of the rear seat installations, how do i get it to stick to the back of the seat? is there anyway to do it without damaging the stock upholstery?

the under seat install seams pretty straight forward, the ads' profile is very low, thank goodness

are there other amp locations? behind one of the tire wells? on top of the spare tire? in the spare tire well?

head unit question.

exactly what does the voltage of the outputs do? is more the better?

(i'm considering keeping my current alp head, forego the mp3 capability, save a few hundred bucks)

also, is it possible to use the alpine's speaker outs to power some rearfill and send a signal to the amp at the same time? i have some aftermarket coaxes in my civic which are going to waste so...or will they just ruin my imaging so forget about them?
Old 05-12-2003, 08:13 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

[B]will the difference in wattage between the usamp and the a/d/s justify the extra few hundred bucks for the usa? if not, a/d/s is my final amp choice.
****With the gains slightly higher you should not really notice the 15watt difference between the usamp and a/d/s. You will love the tonality of the a/d/s amp!

ok amp installation question:

the amp mounts to a wooden board right...now for back of the rear seat installations, how do i get it to stick to the back of the seat? is there anyway to do it without damaging the stock upholstery?
***coming from installing amps on accords and TLs (same thing install wise) I use simple sheet metal or self tapping screws to go into the metal backing of the back seat.

the under seat install seams pretty straight forward, the ads' profile is very low, thank goodness
****exactly you'll save on shorter wire runs if installed under the seat...

are there other amp locations? behind one of the tire wells? on top of the spare tire? in the spare tire well?
****just go with the general consensus...and stick with under seat or back seat.

head unit question.

exactly what does the voltage of the outputs do? is more the better?
****higher voltage gives cleaner signal and higher Signal to noise ratio...this is because by inputting a hotter signal into the amp, you can now decrease the gain setting on the amp. Main thing is wanting to keep the gains to as low as possible..

(i'm considering keeping my current alp head, forego the mp3 capability, save a few hundred bucks)

also, is it possible to use the alpine's speaker outs to power some rearfill and send a signal to the amp at the same time? i have some aftermarket coaxes in my civic which are going to waste so...or will they just ruin my imaging so forget about them?
***yes using the rear outputs to power some rear fill is great. Just dont connect both(speaker outputs and RCA outputs.. I fried one of my friend's old HU this way when I was a newbie... ah well live and learn)