Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine Wiring safe?

Old 04-29-2003, 12:07 AM
XprincoX
"you wanna die??"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Wiring safe?

I just installed my new alpine cda-9813. Damn this deck is soo sweet, makes my stock speakers sound so much better. But anyhow i'm kinda worried about the wiring. In the manual it says specically to connect the yellow positive wire directly to the cars battery through a fuse and not behind the dash. But all i did was connect the yellow wire to the yellow wire on the harness. Is this gonna be ok or is it gonna cause some problems like draining by battery? Or cause a fire? Cuz i was kinda smelling something burning when i first turned it on too... now the smells all gone, but i'm still concerned...
Old 04-29-2003, 04:10 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

You are starving your headunit for power by using the stock wiring harness. I dont know the internal workings of that HU amp... but it seems(and as the manual states) needs a constant 13.8-14.4 voltage... you might be overheating your harness wiring.

I STRONGLY recommend you re wire and properly connect it to the battery as suggested immediatly.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:20 AM
b00gers

the yellow wire on the OEM harness does go directly to a fuse then to the battery. you are ok.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:48 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

That deck needs to be wired directly to the battery or another point where extra amperage is available. Alpine uses a heavier gauge wire on their high power decks because to create more power, the deck draws more power... and not nessecarily volts, but amps. That deck draws a good 15 amps at bass peaks... thats too much for the tiny stock 20 gauge wire. If you play your music quietly, then the stock wire MAY BE adequate... but I still dont recomend it, as you will still be starving the deck amp of power.

Re-wire it right... the manual stresses how to wire if for a good reason. Be sure your ground is good as well... ground to the frame of the car, not the harness.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:55 AM
rcurley55

I never understand why people don't just follow the manuual....

rewire it, fuse it less then 15" from the battery, make sure it pases through a grommet on the way to the alpine.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:26 AM
b00gers

my mistake. ive never read that alpine manual to realize it needs more amperages than the oem wiring can handle.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:05 AM
XprincoX
"you wanna die??"

thats what i thought.... any suggestions of exactly where to connect wire it to? The diagram in the manual only shows the yellow wire directly to the positive terminal on the battery. Maybe something like the cigarette lighter or dash clock?
Old 04-29-2003, 10:33 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by XprincoX
thats what i thought.... any suggestions of exactly where to connect wire it to? The diagram in the manual only shows the yellow wire directly to the positive terminal on the battery. Maybe something like the cigarette lighter or dash clock?
If it says connect it to the battery, do so.

Take a 14ga wire, attach it to the positive battery terminal. Fuse it (with a 20A fuse using a inline fuse holder) less then 18" from the battery. Then pass it through the firewall (make sure it goes through a grommet so the wire doens't chaff). Then connect it to the headunit.

Make sure you do all of the following with your battery disconnected.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Randy12vp

Follow the manufacturer's directions. Why would they lead you down the wrong path?
Old 04-30-2003, 04:08 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

:slap: DO WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS.