Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Old or new?

Old 04-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Blikkem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think at the most I'll spend is about 200-300. At the moment I have all the speakers covered except a sub. I was thinking of a mild system by adding an amp that wil either power everything 4 channels or just add a 2 channel with the 2 channel I have now. I'm leaning towards an amp that can do 4/3/2 channels so it'll be easier to ad a sub later. So the $2-300 is basically for a sub right now and install. JBL 80.4, or Rockford 301s (whichever one has 4 channels-50w each) sound like they are my speed.

I saw a nice pair of Kenwood 4-way that looked pretty good if I need to replace my 6x9's they were about $80 and rated well (later).

So I shouldn't worry about an amp that maybe rated 10-30 watts higher then my speaker's rms? As long as I don't slam the volume?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:01 AM
rcurley55

why not get the amp now - the JBL one is a good choice for a budget amp, and then upgrade to the sub down the road...that's probably the best bet for you right now. If you have the money, I would upgrade the front speakers before you upgrade the rears.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Blikkem

Yeah! That's what i was thinking. I'll get an amp that I can bridge, with some flexibility so I can ad a sub with less hassle later on. That's why that Alpine 5 channel V-power sounded really good to me. Rockford also has an amp that can go 4/3/2 channels. I think it's the 300s? I think I'll go that way and save my current 2 channel for later use.

I read a post you wrote about ID (Image Dynamics, I think?) in another post about amps. Wow you go thru alot of equipment.
I'm the type that changes systems if I get a new car or want something a lot better. I heard Rockford Fosgates or JL are good too. I'm trying to decide on brand right now. I would like to look at Memphis amps but can't find a dealer to check out the prices.

I think the small wattage, 4 channel, type amp that I am going for allows me to get into higher end manufacturers without spending a lot more. Do you agree?

Now that I'm pretty sure I should get a multi channel amp what's good? As I mentioned I'm seeing JBL, Rockford and JL. I don't know about Pyramid or MTX? 40-60w x 4 is what I'm thinking.
I've looking at stuff on www.etronics.com they're prices seem very good.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:17 PM
rcurley55

I have owned quite a bit of things...lots of buying and selling.

Personally, I don't like JL's amps. I don't like their power ratings or sizes. They are good amps, but just don't work for the systems I like to design. I've been less and less impressed with RF as the years go by.

That said, there are still alot of good amps out there. Memphis has gotten mixed reviews, although the memphis belle is a monster of an amp.

If you got a lower powered 4 channel now, you could always bridge it to a set of comps later and add a separate sub amp in the future.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Blikkem

Cool, I'm definitely getting a 4 channel amp. The last time I looked into car audio RF was really good. (that was a long time ago). So maybe I'll stick to the JBL, most people don't have a problem with them they don't love them but they are good enough. Anything I could take a look at before I settle on JBL's? what about US acoustics or Pioneer?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:36 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

JBL :thumbup:

Us acoustics :thumbup:

Pioneer :sleep:

Legacy, Pyrimid, Jensen, 10000 watt amps for $49 :ghey:
Old 05-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Blikkem

Default Down to these two!!!!

OK I've narrowed it down to these two:

I saw a US acoustics 65wx4 for $130 and it can go 3 or 2 channels as well. (I can ad a sub later).

Questions: how long would my speakers last on 65w rms? A year? Forever?
Remember: Altec components: 40w rms (guessing)
Pioneer 6x9: 40w rms

Or

I can get the JBL 80.4 that is 40wx4 and also goes 2/3/4 channels for $140