Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Engine Noise in speakers

Old 04-22-2003, 05:49 PM
HryHood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise in speakers

I was wondering if any one out there in Stereo Land could help me out. I just installed a short ram intake and new spark plug wires in my 97 Civic EX. On my way to work this morning I noticed a noise that was coming over my speakers when I have my radio on. It seems to coincide with the rpm's of my engine-whenever I am accelerating the speakers seem to whine. Any ideas out there??

-HryHood
Old 04-22-2003, 05:52 PM
bambbrose

what this usually is it a power wire to one of your speakers is close to a ground and it causes an annoying whine and a few pops every now and then. Dont know how to fix each specific one though
Old 04-22-2003, 06:25 PM
HryHood

I have seen that in some other posts but I havn't adjusted anything with power cords or speaker wires. The only adjustment to the car was the instake and spark plug wires. i never heard the noise before the upgrades. i have heard of noise filters but know nothing about them. anyone heard of them or have some exp. with them????
Old 04-22-2003, 06:32 PM
b00gers

the noise filters are ground loop isolaters. i would use those as a last resort.

it could be the plug wires because they can cause interference with the radio. if THAT indeed is the problem, i dont know how to fix it.

does it happen when you are playing a CD also?
Old 04-22-2003, 06:37 PM
HryHood

no it doesn't do it when i am playing a CD or when i am listening to Sirius. The spark plug wires are OBX 10.3mm. and now that I think about it I don't think it happened before the wires where installed. i am going to run out and put the old wires back on and take it for a quick drive to see if it still happens.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:11 PM
HryHood

with the old wires i don't seem to hear it. any ideas? i just got the wires and at half price. I don't want to have to get rid of them. please help me......
Old 04-22-2003, 08:40 PM
MikeR

your correct it probably is interference from the wires, they do sell capacitors or isolator at your local auto parts store and or stereo shop. just ask and or tell someone there whats going on and they can help you with it, this usually occurs on older domestic auto's when doing a serious stereo upgrade and is fixed by adding a capacitor or isolator externally to your alt. but since it's possibly due to your wires i think they can sell you one to mount close or on your distributor, also i know some high dollar wires come with grounding straps on them that could have something to do with this. (mine are msd and "do not" have ground wires)
Old 04-22-2003, 08:44 PM
b00gers

OBX isnt really a top notch company when it comes to car products. am i correct? the wires may not be insulated well.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Randy12vp

I would have to agree with Will and say that it is related to poorly insulated wires from OBX. Especially since the problem went away when you switched the wires back.