Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Disc Changer Questions

Old 06-28-2002, 07:39 PM
evanpmeth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Changer Questions

Hey I just got a cd changer for free from my freind that didn't want it. It is a EXCD-2RF sony 10 Disc cd changer. I believe it was made in 95. It is an add on cd changer but I wounder if can be changed so it can be controlled by a aftermaket deck instead of that gay controller. Because there is a controller in port and av out but i was woundering about the power to it, is it sent to it through the controller wire from the deck or what. I got it for free and it is in perfect condition but i was just woundering how to convert it.

Thanks, Evan :squint:
Old 06-28-2002, 08:39 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So long as you have the data cable (the big, thick, black cable) you can do this. HOWEVER, I suggest you bring the data cable with you when you go to buy the head unit. Some Sony's have different bus connectors. There are 2 different ones: a 9 pin small connector (like a computer keyboard), or a large circular plug with a rectangular inner connector.

Power is sent through the data cable. When using the RF remote, the RF box is connected to your car's power and it sends power through the data cable. Same concept with a head unit, so no need to worry about running power to the changer itself.

One more thing. Using a head unit will make the changer sound better..... since RF uses FM radio, it has a 17khz ceiling (for the carrier frequency). Connecting it through the head unit will give you FULL badwith (20hz-20khz):bigok:

Last edited by fastball; 06-28-2002 at 08:45 PM.