Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

HELP me choose a system!

Old 04-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Sportmode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP me choose a system!

Im looking to spend up to $400 on a good head unit, and it needs to have the ability to play mp3 files. Ive heard eclipse and alpine are good, what models should i be looking at and where can i buy them online?

As far as my future set up, im planning on replacing all the stock speakers with new aftermarket ones and running an amp to them(any speaker or amp suggestions?). But before that i want to get a solo baric L7, can anyone reccomend an amp for this sub(or reccomend a better sub for the same price)?

btw my car is a '95 integra GSR coupe. and im pretty sure i have 5 1/4 in speakers all the was around w/ a tweeter in each door.

thanks
Old 04-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Randy12vp

Couple of questions for you...

1. Are you definitely looking for an Eclipse or Alpine? Or are you open to other suggestions?

2. What size L7 do you plan on purchasing?

3. What's you budget for the component/coax/4 channel amp setup? What about the sub/sub amp setup?

By answering these questions for all of us...you'll be swarmed with suggestions.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Sportmode

1. For the head unit im open to suggestions, ive just heard that alpine and eclipse have good reputations. I used to have a JVC kameleon in my old 91 accord and that was pretty cool.

2. I was thinking about getting a 12 in L7

3. For the speakers and amps i havnt thought much about price and i havnt done as much research into it yet. Im not looking to have the loudest car on the street or anything i just want to be able to listen to sharp clean sounding music with the windows down on the freeway. I had some JVC 3-way 6 1/2's in my old car and that sounded good to me being powered just by the reciever.

hope this helped
Old 04-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Randy12vp

Hmmm...

1.Pioneer DEH-P7400MP headunit. Lots of features, adjustments and a nice display.

2.Here's a suggestion for a sub / sub amp setup. Ample Audio Exonic 1200 subwoofer / Ample Audio Exonic 580M amplifier. A friend of mine has a setup like this in his car and it sounds great.

3. As far as the rest of the system goes, here's another idea. Ample Audio component set for the front and coax speakers for the rear. All from their Exonic series. Then power all them with the four channel Exonix series amplifier.

4.That should satisfy your audio needs.

5.If you need some more information check out www.ampleaudio.com

Old 04-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Sportmode

ive never heard of ample, ill check it out thanks!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Sportmode

where can i find pricing on this stuff?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:33 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

For an Alpine deck, you can go with something like the CDA-9813. It'll be no more than $330 online or $400 at a store.

Your original choice of an L7 is what I'd do.. I've owned a 12L7 and 15L7 and they've all performed very nicely.... Kicker is a very good and proven company...:thumbup:
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Mike
Banned

Originally posted by SiClone
For an Alpine deck, you can go with something like the CDA-9813. It'll be no more than $330 online or $400 at a store.

Your original choice of an L7 is what I'd do.. I've owned a 12L7 and 15L7 and they've all performed very nicely.... Kicker is a very good and proven company...:thumbup:
My friend has a 15L7 (the square sub right?) in his Alero, and the box consumes the whole trunk. They actually had to piece it together in the car.

Just some insight if you planning to keep some hatch space.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Sportmode

does anyone know how to calculate the size of box you need for the a sub?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:06 AM
b00gers

if you are doing a basic retangular box, just use math. remember to account for the .75" of wood, the area the sub takes (in sub manual) and any braces you might use.

heres a quick one i found on google.

http://ccs.exl.info/calc_box.html