Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Stock Wiring Harness, Low Power?

Old 06-25-2002, 07:34 AM
wiseacre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Wiring Harness, Low Power?

I have a very mild Pioneer 45W X 4 cd head unit installed using a factory wiring harness adapter and I notice that above 1/2 volume the display on the head unit dims with the bass and the sound is a bit distorted. Is the stock wiring/fusing too small for even this small upgrade?

I was thinking of using a different 12V feed for the main power, any good sources already under the dash or should I just go to the battery?
Old 06-25-2002, 07:40 AM
arch iceman

Do you have an external amp with the system running a sub for bass? The voltage required from the stock harness is enough to operate the head unit. Something is causing a voltage drop and I doubt it is the head units internal amp.

Check your connections, it could also be a low battery. Worst case its the head unit itself. Just a hint, it really doesnt put out a true 45w x 4.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:45 AM
wiseacre

The only modification is the head unit, no sub's, no external amp's. I only put this in because the factory system was a casette deck and I wanted CD's. That's why I was surprised by the apparrent power problem from the factory wiring harness.

I will check the battery but it is only a year old and I am not having any other electrical issues.

Thanks.