Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Clifford?

Old 03-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Tifa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clifford?

I want to know what everyone thinks about after market security systems. I've been looking at Clifford stuff because thats what everyone seems to be talking about. I found one for $260.00. Is that a good price or do I need to pay more for better quality? Also, I went to Best Buy to scope them out and the guy there said the price included installation, but because I'm driving a newer model Civic they may need to install additional parts at an additional cost. Does that sound feasible?

2001 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Old 03-11-2003, 11:56 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

What kind of Clifford is it that you can get for $260? They have many diffrent models.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Tifa

The ass clown at BestBuy got all huffy when I asked for the model number and put me on hold for 15 minutes, so I hung up. But never mind that now. I think I wanna get keyless enrty, too, but the one I wanted at BestBuy didn't have it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:33 PM
varyda
...::..:.::....::::..

you need to figure out what you're overall goals are in this security system you are seacrching for, some examples being:

-auxilary inputs (allowing to turn on stereo by remote, turn on neons, things of that nature)
-door lock/unlock
-interior/exterior proximity sensor (basically a bubble or shield around and inside the car)
-windows roll up/down
-trunk pop
-remote start (either automatic or manual, both can be legally and safely done)
-any other things

figure those out and get back to us
Old 03-11-2003, 10:57 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

i bought mine off ebay. actually, i bought TWO. both models come with the 5 button master remote. i just LOVE that remote.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:04 AM
hondadrvr4life

Tifa......the Clifford alarms available through Best Buy are basically rebadged DEI units. They are of the same quality as thei Viper, Python and Sidewinder counterparts. DEI products are made well, relatively easy to install and have some nice features. Unfortunately, most large chain stores that carry them (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) do not spend the necessary time in performing a quality install. They want to get your car in and out of their install bay as quickly as possible. Check some of your local small shops and check the credentials of the installers. Ask to see a job in progress or samples of their work. Most top installers keep pictures of their work. Things to ask/look for are:

Brain placement (should not be easily accessible)
Integration of wires (should look like factory wires)
Placement of siren (should be out of sight)
Placement of sensors (shock and motion)
Valet switch placement (should not be in plain view, except for Clifford G4 models)

If you want a step-up in a system look at the older G4 Clifford models (AvantGuard 4, Millennia, various IntelliGuard models). These units were designed and built by Clifford before they were bought by DEI. They have by far the best security features of any alarm system.

BTW.....what area do you live in? I might be able to recommend some shops to visit.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:38 AM
Tifa

I live in the Northern VA area. So anything in and around Washington D.C. is good. I did a little research and I think the Intelliguard 6000 is the one for me. Is keyless entry and a hood pop available as an extra? Is it integrateable?

Ok, here's the rundown of what I want/need :
-A basic package
-Programmable shock sensors
-valet switch
-keyless entry
-hood pop
-back-up battery

I don't need proximity sensors, glass sensors, or remote start.

I think that's it!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:37 AM
hondadrvr4life

The IG6000 is a good choice. Keyless entry is usually standard....just depends on the shop. You mentioned hood pop - did you mean trunk pop (or remote trunk release)? If that's the case, remote trunk release is an additional option that can add about $65 or more to the total price. I'll post again later today with some shop recommendations.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:55 AM
hondadrvr4life

Check out Sound Solutions in Chantilly, Safe-N-Sound in Manassas and Audio/Video Solutions in Laurel, MD. Like I said earlier, qualify the installers to make sure they'll do a good job. Also check out Myer-Emco (10 stores across the DC area). I'm not sure if they carry Clifford in stock but they might be able to get it since they are a DEI dealer. The advantages with Myer-Emco are that they have been in business longer and are stronger financially. All of the shops guarantee their work but if they go out of business in a few years then it doesn't matter as in the case with the two companies I used to work for.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Tifa

Yeah, I meant trunk pop. Oops.