Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Speaker amp

Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker amp

So I am installing an amp for my speakers.
I don't have the exact specs of the amp because its discontinued.
My speakers are these: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=49
I have a panasonic head unit with 2 preouts, which are now hooked into my amp.
I have the speaker wires, from the amp, spliced into the speaker wires from my HU.

Here is the problem.
I had it working, I just had to crank up my HU volume to max in order to get sound from my speakers. So I tried adjusting the gain to get them a bit louder. When I turned one of the gain knobs, I lost all sound. The power light is still on. I don't think I blew a fuse in the amp because I wouldn't expect the power light to still come on.
Any ideas how I can get sound back and get it louder?

So I figured out that its going into safe mode. I unplugged all of my speakers and it stays working for a second, then goes into safe mode. Same with one or two speakers plugged in.
Could this be a bad ground or what?

Last edited by M@rshy; 12-04-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:08 PM
ricardo95

I tried answering this 2 days ago but had connection issues. See what kind of readings u get from the speaker- connect a multimeter to the = and -.
What kind of car we talking about? I think u blew the speaker since you are adding power to the stereo signal which is already at say 10-25W. My guess is the voice coil is shot- get new speakers. If the amp detects the short it will shut off automatically. Next time go direct from the amp to the speaker to get a better cleaner sound and make sure u match the speaker with the amp. Buy some speakers which are at least 75% of the amp channel power u use. But not over 100% since u blast your music. please update to see how this goes to help others with the same issue.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 AM
ibar
Banned

First are you still using the factory radio? If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with using the high level input to the amp. You can buy a high to low level convert and buy an rca jack, but it won't make that big of a difference. Either way the amp effectively has a high to low built in (speaker level input) If you have an aftermarket radio, use one of the rca outputs and run that to the rca input of the amp. Where it gets a little confusing is; what 4 speakers are you going to run to the amp? If you are thinking to run your rear speakers and your subs off the 2 channel amp, I would not do this. You would have to run the amp full range range and this would make everything sound bad. Your full range are going to try and play bass, and your subs are going to try and play highs, this is not a good idea. Also you would not run it in series because this would create an 8ohm stereo load and you would get 25 watts a channel period. 12.5 watts per speaker. With a 2 channel amp you need to just run the subs and keep your speakers running off the radio. You can still tap into the rear speaker wires if you want to run speaker level input. The other option is to buy a 4 channel amp and run 2 channels to the subs and 2 channels to your full range speakers. This would be a far better option. You need to verify the ohm load of the subs and make sure they match the amp specs either way.
========================
Turbo Charger
vending parts
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
carlisha57

A cheap and easy solution would be to just get a simple stereo receiver.The output connect to each speaker is not necessary.The receiver could actually power two more speakers if needed. It does not matter if the receiver puts out more than 50 watts - if you keep the volume at a reasonable level, your speakers will be always fine.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM
1boosted92hatch

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
So I am installing an amp for my speakers.
I don't have the exact specs of the amp because its discontinued.
My speakers are these: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=49
I have a panasonic head unit with 2 preouts, which are now hooked into my amp.
I have the speaker wires, from the amp, spliced into the speaker wires from my HU.

Here is the problem.
I had it working, I just had to crank up my HU volume to max in order to get sound from my speakers. So I tried adjusting the gain to get them a bit louder. When I turned one of the gain knobs, I lost all sound. The power light is still on. I don't think I blew a fuse in the amp because I wouldn't expect the power light to still come on.
Any ideas how I can get sound back and get it louder?

So I figured out that its going into safe mode. I unplugged all of my speakers and it stays working for a second, then goes into safe mode. Same with one or two speakers plugged in.
Could this be a bad ground or what?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 AM
1boosted92hatch

the wiring for your amp goes ; 12v power fused within 12" of batt, neg grounded to body no longer than 12" (the shorter the bette), remote turn on from stereo blue or blue with white stripe to amp remote , RCA's from deck to low input on amp ( front to Fr rear to Rr, speaker wires off amp to speakers (you do not use the speaker wires from your deck if your using the RCA out put from deck, only one or the other not both )the only way you would hook up speaker wire to a amp is instead of the low input (RCA) the speaker out of stereo to the high input on the amp (not all amps have the high input .... good luck RYAN
Old 02-23-2010, 01:35 AM
gethasimbu

They should be fine... That is a good amp, but not very strong... I mean, as long as you don't turn the amp up all the way and turn the volume up all the way, your speakers should be just fine... You dont want to run an amp past about 3/4 anyway...
============
cheap furniture
australian wine

Last edited by gethasimbu; 02-23-2010 at 02:09 AM.