Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

is pioneer amps any good for comps???

Old 02-18-2003, 04:32 PM
2fastcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is pioneer amps any good for comps???

im looking for a 4 ch amp for my diamond audio components and infintiy coaxials. i was wondering if the pioneer 4 ch amps are any good. have anyone had any experience with pioneer amps? how about the premier 4 ch amps? give me your feedbacks. thanks.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:09 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

if they're anything like the rest of their products, no...

Check out Alpine's amps for great power and reasonable prices.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:07 PM
dchanth

Default better amps

MTX makes really good amps at a competitive price, my buddy got a mono amp for the sub and a 2 channel amp for his front infinity's and they are clear at low and high volumes. The amps don't run hot at all, and that was one of the factors we were looking for while shopping for car amps. They seem conservative on the power outputs but they are very good and they look sleek too thumbs up for that.

Another one to look at is the rocksford fosgate's they run a little hot, they're butt ugly, the price is ok but they do the job well IMO.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:39 PM
97teg

I must say that when i was looking at the type x's the guy was playing them with an alpine amp on the highs and lowes. Then he switched to the mtx and there was a big differnce. I never would have thought that an amp would make that much of a difference but i was blown away. The alpine was so much cleaner. There was no overhang of the notes. Anyways I would think the premier stuff would be pretty good. If I was gonna go with pioneer it would have to be the premier line although can't say from first hand knowledge.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Just from judging the weight of those Pioneer amps, I would say they're not the best thing out there. If you splurged money for Diamond components, I would look into a cleaner amp. I've always been a fan of PPI
Old 02-18-2003, 10:23 PM
2fastcivic

i was just wondering about the pioneer amps. i was planning on getting an alpine v12 in the first place but i just wanted to look around first before i bought something. i guess i am gonna stick with the alpine then. thanks for the replies though.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by 2fastcivic
i was just wondering about the pioneer amps. i was planning on getting an alpine v12 in the first place but i just wanted to look around first before i bought something. i guess i am gonna stick with the alpine then. thanks for the replies though.
aren't the newer alpine amps class T while the older were class a/b?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:24 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I would stay away from Pioneer as well. They used to make fantastic amplifiers. I own a six year old GM-X214, and it has never failed. That's because back then they used high powered MOSFETs, solid brass high current B+ rails, and a very thick printed circuit board. The last few years they've gotten rid of the brass B+ rails and just use the circuit board traces (lower current capability), they switched to cooler operating MOSFETS, and they used a thinner circuit board. Now, the 2003 models use FETs and output integrated circuits (IC chips in stead of MOSFETs). Just had the first one come in Monday with the emitter resistors burned to a crisp and a torched circuit board beyond repair. They have gotten very cheap in the last few years. I saw at least 3 per week in the last generation with all six FETs flamed and a blown ground trace.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:55 AM
b00gers

for speakers like your diamonds...i would suggest a better a/b amp...dont go pioneer with diamonds.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:44 PM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

you can always put some JL 300/4 if you got the cash...if not...a nice US Acoustics (USX 4065/4085) amp will do.

If you REALLY WANT a HIGH END AMP for VERY LOW PRICE...there is this guy that sells NAKAMICHI PA2004 (100 x 4 @ 4ohms) for $350. SHipped!

go to www.caraudioforum.com

Mike